Tuesday, September 11, 2012

One Last Night in Mannheim

Sunday Kyle and I picked up a couple friends and headed to downtown Mannheim for one last night in our old hometown.  We started the evening with a delectable dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant, then strolled down to my favorite gelato shop for dessert (a blend of strawberry, raspberry, and apricot for me this time), and finished out the night watching the beautiful lights show at the Mannheim Wasserturm fountains.



For an hour or so on warm summer nights, the Wasserturm fountains are illuminated in vibrant colors.  It looks a little bit like a never-ending firework (without the hassle of all that noise), and it never fails to feel magical.  It was a fitting end to an incredible two years in this city.






Auf Wiedersehen, Mannheim.  I hope we meet again someday.

10 comments:

  1. i get overly-sentimental and way too attached to everything and tend to project my own emotions on others, so this made me a little sad. though i've never been there, i feel like i'm going to miss germany. i'm nostalgic about a time and place that i never experienced. i'm weird.

    anyway, i'm glad you guys had a great last night there and hope that new york proves to be just as great an adventure as germany. you're going to have great personal experiences to draw from as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm a little heartbroken over leaving such an awesome city, but we're still having lots of fun for the next couple weeks in Heidelberg (about a half hour east of Mannheim), and we can't wait to start exploring in New York.

      I know what you mean about the projected nostalgia. I feel that way all the time about other blogs/books/really great tv shows... Maybe you'll make it to Germany some day and I can relive it though you for a change. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love it. Sad for you, but also excited! This fountain reminds me of the World of Color show in Disneyland, Anaheim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I really have to go to Disney. I'm not sure how I grew up in the states and didn't manage even a single visit.

      And thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. You are making the most of every last moment you have in Germany Carrie -- and we (your blog family) are the benefactors! Danke! I was thinking about you the other day -- about all of the changes you've through since I started following (one of the first, I believe) the little girl from Kentucky who was a wonderful writer and had loads of dreams around the love of her life and writing. Thanks for sharing so regularly... I had missed you alot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very first! I'm so glad you (and everyone else) stuck around. Makes my day to log in and see all the sweet comments. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, two years. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. I've been following you since before then. You were lucky to be able to experience it. NY will be fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.