Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Vacation Planning

Kyle and I will have just over a month of free time between his last day of work in Germany and our arrival in New York. In the spirit of making the most of things, I'm vacation planning.  A lot of our "month off" will be spent doing move-related errands, but the free days are going be awesome if I have anything to do with it.

My twenty-second birthday sets these plans rolling on the 15th.  I'm thinking a return trip to Cologne would be the perfect celebration.  After all, we never did get to leave a lock on the Hohenzollern Bridge...

Locks adorning the Hohenzollern Bridge in Cologne last Spring.
Then the following week, I've booked two nights for us at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch, an adorable little town nestled in the Bavarian Alps.  While at Edelweiss, Kyle and I will tour the two castles of Schwangau, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, and ascend the Zugspitze (the highest point in Germany).  On the way home, we'll detour through Munich to see one of the largest polar bear exhibits in central Europe at the Hellabrunn Zoo.

The Bavarian Alps on our first visit to Edelweiss last summer.
A few days after we return from Edelweiss, Kyle and I will pack our bags and board an eight hour flight to Baltimore with Brinks.  We couldn't find any connecting flights with room for Brinks on board, so we're spending a mini-vacation in Maryland until my mom can make the road trip out to bring us to Kentucky.  I'm particularly excited to visit Baltimore's National Aquarium.

Incredible photo of the dolphin show via Aaron Riddle.
We'll spend about two weeks in Kentucky visiting friends and family before heading to New York.  Those two weeks are already filling up with plans:  we've organized another group trip to Kings Island in Ohio; my grandmother is throwing an early Thanksgiving since we most likely won't be home for the holidays; and we're attending a belated birthday dinner at one of my favorite restaurants.

I just can't wait.  We have twenty-nine days left to spend in Germany, each one a blessing, then a week or two in Kentucky, surrounded  by people we love, and finally, a year and a half in New York.  This move, which I thought was the end of an adventure, has turned out to be an incredible new beginning.  I am positively giddy with excitement.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously. I am so jealous of you right now, and so excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like so much fun! i'm not too far from baltimore, and the aquarium is definitely worth a visit. (though the monterey bay aquarium in california will always be my favorite despite the fact that i haven't seen it since i was ten.) also, i know i asked this before, but it sounds like the bunny isn't making the trip back to the states?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, the last time you asked, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Barnaby would be moving with us, but some things have changed since then. I'll most likely post on the topic, so for now I'll just say this: I have considered every option available and made the choice that is best for both Barnaby and our family. He's going meet a potential new family on Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a bunch of great plans! Personally, I"m so excited that you get to go back and put your lock on that bridge =] You definitely need to frame that photo!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.