Saturday, August 18, 2012

Things I'll Miss About Germany: Incredible New Friendships

By far the most difficult part of moving to Germany was leaving behind an amazing network of friends.  The first few months in this new place were lonely and miserable.  I didn't do myself any favors by constantly comparing every new acquaintance with the people I left behind in Kentucky.  No one could compete with the years of history my old friends and I share.  Eventually, I realized that while I might not have a long list of shared experiences with the other women here, we do have one very important thing in common:  We all know exactly how difficult it is to abandon all things familiar for our husbands.  And that one common thread allows us to understand each other in a way that no one else, not even our wonderful friends at home, can.

Me with my first friend in Germany, Holli, and her oldest son, Kaden, at Luisenpark last Easter.

Amber and I in Paris, August 2011.

Holli, Brogan and me on our last day together in Mannheim, January of this year.

My newest friend, Chanell, and me posing in front of Ludwigsburg Palace last week.
They say friends are the family you choose, and I have been blessed with a second wonderful sisterhood.  I absolutely dread leaving my new Army family behind.  Within the next few years these women and I will be scattered across the globe, but I know for certain they'll always have a special place in my heart.  I hope more than anything that we'll cross paths again someday in the not-too-distant future.

Other things I'll miss about Germany:

3 comments:

  1. it's great that you made so many new friends. i'm pretty awful at making friends. acquaintances i'm awesome at, friends... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Another Holli with and "i".... I don't see that very often!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.
    My web page - Sandpoint waterfront FSBO

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.