Monday, July 23, 2012

Bacharach & Burg Stahleck


Last week Kyle and I headed north to visit Bacharach on the Rhine river valley.  Bacharach's cute factor makes Rothenburg ob der Tauber look like an industrial zone.  The tiny town (which boasts a population of just over 2,000 people) once sustained itself with a prosperous wine trade.  Now, however, the residents of Bacharach flourish thanks to a steady stream of tourists. 

Though the town's castle, Burg Stahleck, has a tumultuous history, and once played a role in monitoring trade traffic on the Rhine, its only purpose now is to welcome weary travelers.  The castle underwent extensive repairs and was transformed into a youth hostel in the 1920s.  It's open to visitors, but come prepared!  You have to storm the mountain to reach Burg Stahleck.  It's a 15-20 minute hike from Bacharach to the castle gate.  Don't worry, the view is most definitely worth the climb.































Stay tuned for one more post about Bacharach!  Now posted:  the ruins of Wernerkapelle.

5 comments:

  1. So interesting how the vines are terraced up the hill. Where are the people Carrie? It looks entirely desserted! It is cuter however I think it looks very much like Rothenburg. Lovely shots.
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where all the people are! I think most people just take the river cruise to "see" Bacharach's castle, but I expected a better turnout than this, too. It was raining on and off that day, and it was a weekday, so maybe that's why?

      Delete
  2. OK these photos are absolutely beautiful! I'm in love with your new camera - it adds so much to your blog. I want to stay at that hostel - it looks awesome! Also - I just took a wine appreciation class at my school and I learned about this area. Very cool to see photos of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I'm in love with it, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh how CUTE!!!! I love this little town.... really great photos Carrie!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.