Friday, June 22, 2012

Things I'll Miss About Germany: Paradeplatz and Vogelstang See

It's hard to believe there are only three months left until the big move!  I am so incredibly excited to be heading back to the states, but there are a lot of things I will miss about Mannheim when we're gone.  I mean really, where did the last two years go?  Have I really been living in Germany that long?  Some days it feels like I stepped off the plane yesterday, and, in some ways, I am not ready to leave...  But all good things come to an end, and their passing paves the way for new adventures.

As a tribute to this fabulous experience, over the next few months I'll be documenting some of my favorite things about our current hometown and living in Europe.  This chapter of my life has been (and is) so amazing, and I know it will hold a special place in my memory forever.

Wednesday we had dinner with friends downtown, took a stroll down the main shopping strip, and then spent the rest of the evening at the Vogelstang lakes.  My camera has been glued to my hand lately, so I have quite a few of my favorite things to share with you today.


This enormous fountain is just a short walk from the Wasserturm (the Water Tower, another of my favorite places and the hub of the downtown area), located on Paradeplatz (Parade Square).  I think it's exceptionally beautiful, and every time we pass it I'm amazed by the amount of detail included in the many sculptures that adorn all sides.



Also at Paradeplatz is this unique Holocaust Memorial.  It's a giant glass box covered in the names of Holocaust victims from Mannheim, but all the names are inscribed backwards, so you have to look through the box to read the names on the opposite side.


I've read that there were a lot of complaints about the box, because for some people it isn't obvious that it's a memorial.  And it's true that the descriptive plaque is easy to miss (it's embedded in the sidewalk next to the box), but I think this memorial is lovely.  It's easy to spot, since it's easily the most modern sculpture in the square, and the strange way the names are printed holds people's attention.


And of course, I'm going to miss having these gorgeous lakes so close by! This relaxing spot is only a five minute drive away, which makes it perfect for an afternoon or evening retreat.











4 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! I love the ones of you in the field and the ones close up of the two fountain boys. That is amazing sculpture! Wish I could see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are GORGEOUS photos... wow!! You look beautiful..... I am going to love seeing all your fave spots before you leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pictures of you in the field are movie worthy. seriously. and i know you mentioned kyle is climb-y before, but i've been trying to figure out how he got to be sitting on that whatever it is. how could anyone climb that? there's nowhere to put your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! :) I was really pleased with how these came out.

    Sarah, he jumped on that. Sometimes I think he's an alien or something, because some things he does aren't humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.