Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cologne Round 2, Part 1: The Hohenzollernbrücke


The Hohenzollernbrücke is the most memorable bridge of Cologne.  It's used only by trains and pedestrians, and opens directly behind Kölner Dom.  But what makes it unique is the huge collection of locks that adorn the side rails.  People from around world 'lock their love' on the Hohenzollern Bridge while in Cologne, creating a beautiful, vibrant gallery for passersby to admire.  Most locks are from couples, but we spotted some that were hung by families, friends and even sports teams.












8 comments:

  1. that is SO cool. i always wonder how things like that get started. like, did a couple just decide to put a lock there and people gradually started copying them until it was a "thing"? or did it start off as some event or tradition from the beginning? did you guys put a lock on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that too... We didn't leave a lock - we bought one to take, and forgot it at home. We're planning to leave on before we move back to the states though. :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I will have to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be my favorite thing about the city...and that's really saying something. Cologne is such an awesome place!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of this place before, but seeing all of these beautiful photos really makes me want to visit!! Thanks for sharing Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I'd been dying to see the bridge since I moved here. :)

      Delete
  4. AH I hope you put a lock on it! Or get a chance to before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get to leave one on this trip, but we definitely want to go back to hang one there before we move. :)

      Delete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.