Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Strahlenburg: The Castle of Schrieshiem

Over the weekend I discovered that there are at least three sets of castle ruins within 20 minutes of our apartment. How we'd overlooked them, I'm not sure, but we visited the first of these nearby beauties Monday: Strahlenburg, castle of Schriesheim.



The Strahlenburg sits high on a hilltop in adorable Schriesheim. Ten months of the year it functions as a restaurant and tourist destination, but in January and February the ruins' interior is closed to visitors. Thankfully there is ample parking, and the pathways in the surrounding vineyard are accessible year round (at your own risk of falling on ice, of course).  An outlook in front of the castle provides a beautiful view of the town below, which is much more impressive when it's not blocked by pre-snowstorm fog.











We had a lot of fun wandering around the outside of Strahlenburg, but we can't wait to go back in warmer months to explore inside and climb the tower.  (And maybe walk around the town to photograph the gorgeous, colorful little houses.)

13 comments:

  1. I love seeing the castles that you visit and the different colour houses are adorable, I love that they have those in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We saw a very pretty bright purple one as we were leaving too, but it was partially hidden and I couldn't get a good photo.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous--one of those very cool things about living in Germany, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I am so very glad that we had the opportunity to live here for a while.

      Delete
  3. some of these pictures look like they could be on a postcard. also, i love places with colorful houses. it seems like everywhere has them except america. i feel like they would make for a very cheerful population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks. :) I was noticing as I uploaded these that almost every time we've visited a castle it's been in winter, and a lot of the photos look a little bleak. We really have to get out more when it's warm!

      Delete
  4. You'll have to post photos when you can go inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'll bet the view from the tower is incredible.

      Delete
  5. SO FUN! I love the one of your husband in the lower left corner of the photo below the castle and the one of the houses! So beautiful!! You HAVE to go back in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to! I can just imagine that hillside covered in grape vines...

      Delete
  6. Wow! These are amazing photos.... how cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pictures. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.