Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Schwetzingen Palace and Gardens

view of the residential part of the palace from the gardens in back

On our way to Speyer last week, my friends and I stopped in Schwetzingen to tour the palace and its immense gardens.  It was gorgeous, but I can't wait to go back in the spring or summertime when the fountains are working and the flowers are in bloom.  It must be fantastic!  Unfortunately, cameras weren't allowed inside the palace (which was also beautiful, preserved/restored to 18th century rococo style), so the following photos are all taken from outside and in the gardens.

The front of the palace was being restored.  







The tour encompassed the personal living areas of the palace (which, although very large, was only a summer home), and was given in German.  However, we were provided with transcripts of the information given and could follow along easily enough.  After about an hour of wandering through 18th century powder rooms, parlors and studies, we were allowed to walk through the gardens on our own.  The gardens are massive!  Since we were only passing through on our way to Speyer, we didn't even walk all the way through before it was time for us to leave.

The tour and garden admission was 7 euro (a bargain!), and we were told that in the tourist season tours are also given in English.  You can visit the palace website here for the palace's history and information about hours, pricing and special events.

5 comments:

  1. Your photos are almost - almost mind you - as good as taking the tour in person. It is a beautiful place and I wager you really enjoyed the day. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! It was a great trip. :) I just wish I could have taken some photos of the inside -- I'd never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there in summer. It. Is. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been there in summer. It. Is. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie -- My husband and I are planning to go together in the summer and take the tour in English, so I can hear it in my own language and he can see it for the first time. I can't wait. I expect the gardens to be awesome! I kept thinking it looked like something out of a Jane Austen novel.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.