Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year's Un-Resolutions: 2012 Edition

Last year I came up with six clear, reasonable goals that I wanted to accomplish in 2011.  (They were NOT resolutions.  Resolutions are those silly statements people make on New Year's Eve and then forget about the next day.)  Happily, I've completed five of them, and the one goal left by the wayside was only abandoned because of circumstances out of my control.  Pretty darn spiffy work, if I do say so myself.  So with last year's success, how could I not make a new set of goals for 2012?

1)  Teach Brinks tricks.  Now, don't go imagining anything crazy.  I'm just talking about basic commands...like "sit," and "stay," and, "roll over," and "play dead."  And maybe, if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll try to get him to dance in a circle on his back legs on cue.  (He sometimes does this spontaneously, and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.)


2)  Go to Cologne and Trier, and take at least one overnight vacation with husband.  Last year I accomplished my goal of seeing Paris.  This year I'm making my travel goals a little more challenging.  Cologne and Trier have been sitting on my "to see" list for too long.  They need to be checked off.  But the real challenge will be finding the time to take a decent vacation with Kyle.  What with his constantly changing schedule, we can barely go out to dinner together, let alone take a trip.  However, I'm determined to make it happen.  We need a break from this tiny little Army post.

3)  Be a better pen pal.  (Sorry, Stasie!)  I crossed "find a pen pal" off my bucket list ages ago, but I am terrible at keeping up with letters.  It might have something to do with the post office being so far away...but that's not an excuse.  In 2012, I am making it my mission to answer all letters within a week of arrival.  With no exceptions.

4)  Be more active.  As a housewife, it's easy to become lethargic.  Being away from all things familiar, it's even easier.  But it's out of character for me to stay shut in my own apartment as much as I have been lately.  Maybe it's just the homesickness getting to me...or maybe it's the colder weather these days...  Whatever the reason it has to end.  Each week of 2012 I want work out at least twice, and have at least one outing with a friend.  No more hiding out.  It's not good for the soul.  (Or my skinny jeans.)


5) Master Italian Buttercream.  The last (and only) time I attempted buttercream frosting, it kicked my butt.  I've been too afraid to try it since.  This year, no matter how many eggs I waste, I WILL make perfect Italian Buttercream.  Even if it kills me.

6)  Read another fifty books.  Last year I challenged myself to read fifty books (documented on Goodreads) and I exceded my goal (56!).  I want to do that again.  But this year, I want at least ten of those fifty books to be non-fiction.  You know, for substance.  So I'll take any recomendations you can throw my way.

Do you make resolutions?
If so, what are they?
And did you keep any of last year's?

5 comments:

  1. i'm awful at resolutions and goals and everything. i tend to forget them and never check my progress, so i never know if i fulfilled them or not. but number four, oh my god story of my life. after getting married, i feel like washing the dishes right after dinner is a huge accomplishment. (they usually get left til morning.)i find myself cancelling plans with friends just because i don't have the energy to get dressed and leave the house. lethargy has taken over my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I know exactly what you mean! Any plan to have guests revolves around whether or not I've done my dishes. 9/10 we end up going out because I'm too lazy to do them. ;)

      Delete
  2. YOu are on top of things! And 56 books? Wow! I'm going for 20! I think that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a lot, but most of them were short (around 300-400 pages) and I have tons of free time these days. ;)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with all of your goals! Isn't goodreads so handy!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.