Monday, September 12, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting


I had intended to hold off on posting the recipe for these cupcakes until Thursday...and then I tried one.  These are hands down the best cupcakes I've ever eaten.  (And *does happy dance* I made them.)  The cake is moist and full of flavor, the frosting is sweet and creamy, and the fresh berries on top add an incredible tartness.  The original recipe came from gas•tron•o•my, but I swapped out the original strawberry frosting with one of my own.

There was quite a bit of frosting left over, but since the cream cheese is the prevalent flavor, I reserved it to use as a bagel topping.

Strawberry Cupcakes
(makes 12)

1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 egg whites
extra strawberries for garnishing

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 12 muffin cups with cup cake liners.

2.  Puree strawberries, set aside.

3.  Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer.  Add egg, egg whites, vanilla, and milk.  Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time.  Add salt and baking powder.  Add berry puree last.

4.  Fill liners and bake for 23-25 minutes, until cupcakes test done with a toothpick.

5.  Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

6.  Top each cupcake with fresh strawberry slices.

NOTE:  Be sure to keep these refrigerated!

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes 3-4 cups)

1/2 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
2-3 cups confectioners sugar

1.  Puree strawberries, set aside.

2.  Cream together butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.

3.  Add vanilla, salt, and about 3 tablespoons of puree.  Blend well.  Chill about 15 minutes before using.

3 comments:

  1. One word Carrie -- YUM! I am going to try these, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they were SO good. :) Between Kyle and me and our dinner guests we ate the whole dozen. I'm going to try them with blackberries next, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes are diving and to die for! Loving all that strawberry top!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.