Sunday, September 25, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cookies

In the wee hours of Saturday morning, my facebook status was quoted to say, "It's 4:46am and suddenly I've decided I can't live one more minute without Snickerdoodle cookies. You know what that means...MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT BAKING!!! Boy oh boy.Less than an hour later, this photo hit the web:


My oven cranked out a little over five dozen of these babies, and nearly all of them have been devoured.  One dozen went to work with Kyle (who has made a habit of distributing my baked goods), another dozen went to a friend, and about fifteen (give or take ten) have been consumed in this household.  I blame Brinks.  Husband has plans to take another set with him on shift tonight, and I don't think what's leftover will last until he comes home.  I blame Brinks again.

Want some?  Make some!  They're easier than easy.  They're cake...er...you know what I mean.
Snickerdoodle Cookies
(makes 2-3 dozen, depending on cookie size)

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, unsalted, softened
1/2 cup shortening (I like butter flavored)
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups self rising flour

1/3 cup sugar
3-4 tsp cinnamon, or to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Cream together sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs.  Add flour gradually, and mix until smooth and well combined.
3.  In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon well.
4.  Roll dough into balls (about one inch), and then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. 
5.  Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased, non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.  Don't overbake!  These won't darken much.
6.  Cool on wire racks or a flat surface, if you're patient enough for that sort of thing.

2 comments:

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.