Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kid (or Picky Husband) Friendly Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


We have a terrible habit of leaving bananas to waste away on the counter.  Sunday I decided I couldn't let the last three wilting bananas go uneaten, so I whipped up a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread.  My original recipe calls for chopped pecans, but my picky husband doesn't like them, so I threw in chocolate chips instead.  It turned out fantastic.  Next time I think I'll try it with some berries.

No sooner had I posted a facebook update detailing the contents of my oven than Kyle announced that his fellow MPs wanted bread brought to shift.  Don't you know he carted off half the loaf?  Alas.  But it's nice to be appreciated, and the bananas are no longer lurking in the kitchen, so I'm not complaining.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
(makes one loaf)

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (unsalted), softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 large (or 3 smaller) overripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2.  Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Add wet ingredients one at a time, mixing between.  Fold in chocolate chips.

3.  Scrape batter into a greased loaf pan and bake until golden (and tests clean with a toothpick), about 50-55 minutes. 

4.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto your serving tray.  Cool completely before slicing.

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a recipe for me and Ryan. I like banana bread and he's a chocoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was good. Kyle had me buy more bananas specifically so I can make a whole loaf for him to take to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, picky husband, i like it... I still havent tried banana bread but this sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made mini cherry cupcakes for Ryan's work last time they had a night flight. I made the mini-ones intentionally, so that they might last longer than 24 big ones would have. Everyone liked them, but his SGT told him, "Next time your wife feels like baking, tell her to make some MAN-SIZED cupcakes."

    First, there's something oddly funny about "man-sized" and "cupcakes" going in the same sentence.

    Second, I'm getting one of those double cake pans that are shaped like the top and bottom of a cupcake. I will show him "MAN-SIZED."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my site, so glad you like it! This bread looks great! I have lots of bananas that I need to turn into something!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.