Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Year's Un-Resolutions Update

Way back in December drew up this list of goals for 2011.  Half the year is over; it is high time for a status update/revised edition.
  1. Go to Paris. -- Progress has been made!  A new friend and I are planning a girls' day trip next month through Paris Tours.  [!EXCITEMENT!]  The husband has agreed that it's impossible for us to go on an out-of-country-vaca together any time soon, what with him extinguishing his leave reserve for our trip back home to the states.  Though the date of our visit has been pushed back multiple times, we now hope to be back in Kentucky for a few weeks in September.  So a girly Paris trip it is. 
  2. Come up with a reasonable financial plan. -- Progress is sluggish.  Every time we make any headway with a savings plan, some unforseen peril squashes our bank account flat again.  Such is life as newly weds.  However!  We are managing our "going home" fund very well, and I did manage to negotiate a solution to the crazy German billing problems with Vodafone/TKS.  (Seriously, what kind of phone/internet provider refuses to send bills in the mail?) Thank goodness for small blessings.
  3. Apply (and be accepted) to UMUC to finish my degree.  -- No progress.  Picking up transcripts from my previous university whenever we manage to make it back to Kentucky.  (Fingers crossed for September!)
  4. Find a friend. -- Accomplished.  I have about three close girl friends here.  I've also kind of adopted my husband's friends too.  Hanging with the guys is usually entertaining.
  5. Get a cat. --  Adapted to:  "Get a fluffy puppy."  Accomplished.  After two potential cat adoptions fell through, we found our baby Brinks through Angie's Pet Finding Service.  I was terrified that this would be a scam, but was thrilled to discover that it is most certainly not.  Angie Calligan helps military families stationed in Germany find puppies (and kittens, too) from reputable breeders.  Her service was a blessing.  Puppies are so hard to find when you have no connections, and not speaking the native language wasn't helping any either.  (Many German animal shelters are hesitant to let Americans adopt their animals -- military families have a bad reputation for abandoning their pets upon moving.)  Within a week of emailing Angie, she'd already found us Brinks and set us up an appointment with the breeder to come and meet him.  She provided directions to the breeder's home, and offered to translate via phone if need be (though it wasn't neccessary).
  6. Read all the books I put on my 2011 reading list. -- This one was adapted to:  Read fifty books in 2011.  I've been tracking my progress via Goodreads.  I'm nearly done!  Only six more books to go until I reach my goal.
  7. 2011 Reading Challenge

    2011 Reading Challenge
    Carrie has read 44 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide

The grand tally: 2/6 goals have been met, 3/6 show progress, and only 1 has been neglected.  I'd say those are pretty decent results.

On a side note: Today is mine and Kyle's one year wedding anniversary.  A nifty little known fact -- this is also our dating anniversary.  Today marks three years of our being a couple.

Daily dose of Brinksy-boy cuteness:


Have any of you met your New Year's Resolutions yet?
Did anyone else get married on their dating anniversary?
Any suggestions for my upcoming Paris trip?

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it to a year of marriage. And Brinks looks super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eep, carrie when exactly are you in Paris, Thomas and I are going for a week at the end of August... how exciting if we're there at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh I was so excited I forgot to say happy anniversary!! Has it really been a year already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhianne -- We're booking through Paris Tours, so it will be on a weekend, but the dates for August trips haven't been posted yet. We should find out soon though! And thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've accomplished some of those things! I can't wait to see and hear about Paris :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holli -- I can't wait to see/tell everyone about Paris either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's great that you've got a lot done off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww congrats on your anniversary! I can't believe it's already been a year since the wedding =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found your post doing a search on Angie's pet finding service. glad to see a good review that is not linked to her site! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.