Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday Slugday, Take 2

It's another one of those days.  I have nothing pressing to do, and so there's a stack of DVDs next to stack of warm blueberry pancakes, and both are calling my name.  Want to join me? 


Homemade Blueberry Pancakes
(makes about 12, 6-inch pancakes; serves 4)

2 cups self rising flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
about 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1.  The secret to making pefect fluffy pancakes is heating your pan to the correct temperature.  Electric skillets and griddles have a pancake setting, but cooking pancakes on a stovetop is a little more tricky.  Before you begin mixing the batter, place your skillet on the burner and allow it to begin heating on medium heat.  (For me, the perfect temperature is one notch below medium.)

2.  Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl with a wire whisk.  Add milk, eggs and vegetable oil, whisking between each new ingredient.  

3.  Test the heat of your pan -- drizzle a small amount of batter onto the pan with a spoon.  The batter should make a sizzling sound.  If it doesn't, the pan is too cool.  Either allow a little more time for the stove to heat, or turn up the dial a small amount.  If the batter burns, the pan is too hot; reduce heat and give the pan ample time to cool before testing again. 

4.  When the heat is correct, dip batter by the quarter cupful into the center of the skillet.  (If it isn't a non-stick skillet, be sure to lightly grease it first.)  Immediately sprinkle a small handful of berries evenly throughout the pancake. 

5.  Allow bubbles to form and burst in the batter.  When the pancake is riddled with holes and the edges of it slide easily off the pan when  pried with spatula, the pancake is ready to flip.  Slide the spatula around all edges of the pancake before lifting it off the pan to ensure that it doesn't stick and tear.

6.  After flipping the pancake, the top surface should be smooth and brown with white edges.  If it is mostly white and covered in a light grid-like pattern, the skillet was greased too liberally.  This isn't a problem, as the first pancake will have soaked up the excess butter/cooking spray.  If the pancake is covered in a burned grid-like pattern, the skillet was greased too liberally, and it was either cooked too long, or the heat was too high.  Learning the cooking time/temperature for pancakes is mostly a guess and check process.  A little practice goes a long way -- by the end of your first batch you should have a clear idea the timing/temperature setting combination that works best.

7.  Finishing off the pancake is simple.  Allow thirty seconds to one minute for the pancake batter to finish cooking.  A good rule of thumb:  When small whisps of smoke appear around the edges of the pancake, it's usually finished.  You can also test the edges with the spatula to determine whether the batter is cooked.

8.  Serve warm with your favorite syrup and butter.  I recommend Smuckers Blueberry Syrup with these.

NOTE:  You can also substitute your favorite berries, chopped banana, nuts, or chocolate chips for the blueberries in this recipe.


This Sunday's DVD Line-up:






10 comments:

  1. Those look good and I love your movie line up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie -- first of all -- YUM! Secondly, I concur with your choices of DVDs. I especially enjoyed BIG FISH cause it reminded me alot of my dad. Hope things are going well in Germany and in newly-wed land. : ) I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pancakes were delicious. I was really pleased with how they turned out today; a perfect brunch.

    Lyn, Big Fish is one of my all time favorites. It doesn't remind me of anyone in particular...more so of the fact that life can be only as magical as you make it. I can see how it would remind you of your dad though -- he cetainly has a lot of stories to tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe Carrie. I love pancakes! :)

    What a great way to spend a Sunday - I like your choice of movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ten things i hate about you is one of my all time favorite movies!! Who doesn't love a young heath ledger or julia stiles???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! Those look good! And those are some good movie choices too! Talk to me Goose!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i haven't watched burlesque or life as we know it, but the others are some of my favorites, especially practical magic and ten things i hate about you. and i think i'll be making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow because i suddenly really want some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: I made those pancakes two mornings in a row. I hadn't had any in FOREVER...so, you know, it was making up for lost time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What could be finer than pancakes and cinema? Don't TELL me you've never seen Top Gun (I thought I was the only one). And you are making me really hungry and I hate you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious.. unfortunately I burn even the simplest of things and should probably stick to all things frozen.

    Big Fish is such a great movie! I really want to see Life As We Know it also.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.