Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Weekend in the Bavarian Alps



Somehow Kyle and I lucked into being chosen to attend a couple's retreat at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch, Germany.  Three unexpected days off, a mini-vacation, and all expenses paid -- there was no refusing this trip.  Edelweiss is nestled in the Bavarian Alps, surrounded on all sides by gigantic snow capped mountains.  We spent our time enjoying the incredible view, free food and good company.

Day One (Saturday) consisted mostly of a bus ride...with camera pressed to window for the entire last hour.  The first glimpses of the Alps are unreal.  The mountains look like a photographer's painted backdrop behind the quaint little German and Austrian towns.  We even passed a gorgeous set of castle ruins along the way.  I wish we could have stopped the bus for a closer look!










We explored the resort for the remainder of the first night. (Excellent pool and hot tub, spa, fitness center, three restaraunts, and an internet lounge, in case you're wondering.)  The view from our balcony was beautiful.




Sunday, after a fabulous (FREE!) breakfast, we took the Zugspitzbahn (train) to the Eibsee, a large lake at the base of Zugspitze.  The top of Zugspitze (tallest of the gigantic mountains) is the highest point in Germany, and provides a view into Germany, Austria and Italy.  We opted not to take the train all the way to the top, as to save ourselves some 40euro per ticket.





(Another adorable German haus for the archives.)


















It was a fantastic weekend.  I just wish it had lasted longer.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs Carrie! What a scenic part of the world! :) I'm glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow, it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful! The whole time we were there, I kept thinking "we need a REAL camera." Hopefully we'll have one by the time we go back again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Stuttgart next year but the prices for airfare are incredibly high. However, looking at your photos really makes me want to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Pictures, and a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful and beautiful trip. Glad you enjoyed it. If we ever get stationed over there (or my brother does) I'll have to make a mini-vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone who complimented the photos! :)

    Kyle and I really want to go back again this fall when our truck is back in service. There is so much more to do when you're "mobile," so to speak.

    I highly reccomend Garmisch as a vacation stop for anyone who had the opportunity to be in Europe. It's fantastic! The people are very tourist-friendly, and the landscape is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! It looks like it was an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow it's hard to believe those are real pictures. living in DC has definitely deprived me of postcard views of nature. also, those trees are ginormous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow! The photos you took just sparked a desire in me to fly off for a vacation! If only I had extra finances! :)
    I'm so happy you enjoyed your weekend! I guess it was more than you expected? :) So glad you and your hubby had a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah: I had a hard time believing what I was SEEING was real. Coming from Kentucky, my previous experience with "mountains" was nothing more than rolling tree covered hills.

    Also, when I was walking through those trees I didn't really notice how big they were. They're not all that thick, just TALL. Realllllly tall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aboslutely gorgeous!!! in some of your shots it reminds me of where I'm from in California :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pics! How wonderful for you to be able to go. I'm envious! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.