1. A picture of yourself with fifteen facts:
|August 9, 2010; Mannheim, Germany|
- I am almost always that pale. I actually don't mind so much anymore.
- I read more than your librarian.
- Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday.
- I could win an herb-roasted potato eating contest, if they existed.
- I have no sense of balance whatsoever. Our Wii Fit is exasperated with me.
- I'm a proud subscriber of Good Housekeeping Magazine.
- There are only three pages left in my current journal. This is a miracle, as I NEVER completely fill a journal.
- I named our new truck Napoleon.
- I prefer Scrabble Upwords to the original Scrabble.
- Audrey Hepburn is my role model.
- Dandelions are my favorite flowers. The puffy white kind. Yes, the one's you think are weeds.
- My signature is never going to be as pretty as it was before I was married. I had nineteen years invested in the perfect "y" loop.
- I have so many pairs of gorgeous high heels. Most of them have never been worn. (Refer to fact #5.)
- I desperately need to find a craft store in Germany.
- I'm one of the .01% of American girls who cannot stand the sight/sound of Justin Bieber.
2. A picture of you and a person you have been close with for a while:
|October 7, 2009; AFI Concert, Cincinnati, Ohio|
3. A picture of the cast from your favorite show:
|Cast of Glee -- image source|
4. A picture of a habit you wish you didn't have:
|If only hair twirling were an olympic sport. -- image source|
5. A picture of your favorite memory:
|August 8, 2010; Mannheim, Germany|
6. A picture of a person you'd love to trade places with for a day:
Beyond witty criticism and clever threats, Sue Sylvester is the only creature on the planet that can rock a track suit 24/7/365 without a single raised brow. The fear of Sue Sylvester is that awe inspiring.
7. A picture of your most treasured item:
This is the quilt my great-grandmother made for my wedding gift. She completed it years ago, and gave it to grandmother to give me, fearing that she wouldn't live long enough to do it herself. (She only missed it by an inch.) The pattern is called "around the world." Every square (each about two square inches) is handstitched.
8. A picture that makes you laugh:
|June 2010; Heidelberg Castle, Heidelberg, Germany|
9. A picture of the person that has gotten you through the most:
|June/July 2007; Thank God We're Seniors Now Party, Irvine, Kentucky|
Kyile (left) and Christina (middle)
Christina doesn't even count as my friend. Chris has been like my sister since we met in sixth grade. (Back when she had a perm and I had no idea what a hair straightener was.) She was and is my support system. She was the first (and only for a while) person I confided in when my mom discovered she had cancer, and the morning Kyle left for basic training I found myself crying like a baby on her doorstep with only a vague recollection of driving there. Her house was my second home during middle/high school, and to this day we've never had an arguement. (Or at least not one important enough that I can remember it.)
10. A picture of the person you do the most messed up things with:
|Brianne (left) and Hannah (right); August 15, 2009, at my engagement party|
Carrie: Me too!
Brianne: Let's make a pact. If we're still alive when were eighty, we'll try it and find out.
Hannah: Want to go stalking with me?
Carrie: Stalking is like, our thing now.
11. A picture of something you hate:
12. A picture of something you love:
|teapot collection as of January 2011|
13. A picture of your favorite band or artist:
14. A picture of someone you could never imagine your life without:
|August 13, 2009; en route Kentucky after Kyle's BCT/AIT Graduation|
15. A picture of something you want to do before you die:
16. A picture of someone who inspires you:
|Laura Hillenbrand -- image source|
Hillenbrand suffered a relapse of the chronic fatigue syndrome that has ruled her life for more than two decades. From 2007 through the summer of 2009, she never left her house; for some of those months, she never left her room. Her relationship with Flanagan was pushed to its limits.17. A picture of someone who has made an impact on your life recently:
But all the while, she was calling people she was too weak to visit, and e-mailing the people she was too weak to call. She was requesting newspapers from archives and scanning forgotten POW lists. She was finding a guy who owned a clunky Norden bombsight and persuading him to set the contraption up on her kitchen table so she could understand how soldiers accurately dropped bombs during World War II. "We spent a while," she says delightedly, "bombing Phoenix."
Last week, after nearly a decade of laboring, Hillenbrand's second book was released - a biography of the Olympic runner whose dreams of breaking the four-minute mile were smashed by a plane crash and an unspeakable stay in a Japanese war camp. It is called "Unbroken." -Monica Hesse for The Washington Post
|Jacey Eckhardt -- image source|
18. A picture of your biggest insecurity:
Fact: Even though my jeans are a single-digit size for the first time since my freshman year of high school, and I generally feel pretty darn good about myself, I still have days when I look in the mirror and see an extremely distorted image of myself as the fat lady at a circus. I think we all have these illogical insecurities though, about one thing or another.
19. A picture of you when you were little:
|Summer 1992?; Irvine, Kentucky|
20. A picture of somewhere you'd love to travel:
Reading As Always, Julia, a collection of letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, isn't helping me get over my infatuation.
21. A picture of something you wish you could forget:
|September 28, 2009; St. Louis, Missouri|
22. A picture of something you wish you were better at:
|Summer 2009; en route Gatlinburg, Tennessee|
25. A picture of your day:
Thanks to Kyle's night shift schedule, this is how I spend my days.
26. A picture of something that means a lot to you:
|August 15, 2009; Engagement Party, Irvine, Kentucky|
27. A picture of yourself and a family member:
|Thanksgiving 2010; Maternal Grandparents' home, Cob Hill, Kentucky|
|Thanksgiving 2009; Paternal Grandparents' home, Wagersville, Kentucky|
28. A picture of something you're afraid of:
29. A picture that can always make you smile:
|Summer 2009; outside Kylie's old house, Ravenna, Kentucky|
Reason 2: Wardrobe. Gotta love the Team Jacob pride.
Reason 3: Timing: This was taken as we were leaving for our Gatlinburg vacation. Going to Gatlinburg in the summer of '09 is my favorite trip anywhere to date. Mostly because of the company. But also because it was the first time any of us had been out on our own.
30. A picture of someone you miss:
|September 26, 2010: Kylie & Brianne's apartment (affectionately called "Big Daddy"), Richmond, Kentucky|
I miss my best girl friends! Though I've made a plenty of new acquaintances, and even a few new friends, nothing replaces a best friend. There is no one I can be more honest with, and no one who understands me more.
What would we do without our women friends, who often hold it together for us when we can't hold it together on our own? ...However happily married you are (or aren't), whatever satisfaction you get from work (or don't), however fulfilling (and frustrating) parenting is -- you need good friends. They fill a role in life that nothing and no one else does. -Rosemary Ellis, Editor-in-cheif of Good Housekeeping Magazine; August 2010