Friday, February 4, 2011

Farfalle with Italian Sausage and Peppers


Anyone who knows me well at all knows I love me some pasta.  In large quantities.  Often.  This recipe was adapted from a similar one in this month's Redbook.  It serves 4-6 depending on the size of your appetite.

Farfalle with Italian Sausages and Peppers

3-4 italian sausages, casings removed, crumbled into bite sized pieces
1 pkg. farfalle (bowtie pasta)
1/2 cup chopped (big bite sized pieces) red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped (big bite sized pieces) green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped (a little smaller) onion
1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil

1. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook as direction on packaging.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned. (About 6 minutes.)

3. Add peppers, onion, and pepper flakes to sausage. Reduce heat slightly and cook until peppers are tender.

4. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the water. Return pasta to pot and add sausage. Toss to combine.

5. Serve the parmesan cheese in a separate dish as a topping. (I like a lot, but other's may prefer a small amount.)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my GOD THIS LOOKS SO GOOD.
    The cafeteria at school does not serve pasta very well. It always comes out mushy and turns me into a pasta fiend when I go home.
    I wonder how this tastes, though, because it's cooked with olive oil instead of butter? You should do the same thing with butter and let me know which is better! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of that. I'll try it with the butter next time.

    The recipe this was adapted from used chicken sausage instead of regular, added baby arugala/spinach, omitted the onion, and used roasted peppers from a jar instead of fresh. Just to put it out there.

    I get the feeling that this recipe is good for A LOT of substituions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- The olive oil isn't as heavy as you'd think since there's only a tablespoon and it's diluted with water. It takes on the flavor of the peppers and sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really DOES look good... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you liked pasta......lol
    That looks extremely easy, might have to give this a shot

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.