Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Slugday

The most incredible thing happened this morning.  I was lying in bed all cozy and warm and deep in dream land, and the alarm clock sounded.  It was set so that Kyle and I could make a quick trip over to the PX to pick up a new microwave and toaster.  (Have I mentioned that all my outlets here are European and render my kitchen appliances useless?)  That microwave is imperative to my happiness.  I am the Queen of Leftovers.  But this morning when the alarm clock sounded, I flipped over and said "I'm just not going."

Kyle laughed.  Mostly because this is not how I react to alarm clocks.  When Kyle sets an alarm, it is for the sole purpose of waking me up.  He's perfectly content to turn it off and go right back to his previous state.  It is then my job to kick, tickle, rob the blankets from, or otherwise force him out of bed.  It's the natural order of things.

Yet today I was just not having it.  The appliances could have been tossed off a bridge for all I cared at 10:30am, so long as I got a few more hours of sleep.  So Kyle reset the alarm and actually got out of bed of his own free will.  And an hour later he still had to come drag me away from my pillow.  But I got a shiny new microwave and cute little toaster out of the deal, and both with appropriate plugs, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Naturally, when Kyle left for work this afternoon I performed a noteworthy dive onto the sofa, conveniently located near my laptop, which was conveniently left open to a wondrous recipe for Nutella Hot Chocolate.  It's super easy to make and it tastes positively divine.  The recipe comes from The Hungry Housewife, so even though I'm sharing it here you should direct your imminent "thank yous" to her.  I'm also stealing her photo, as my mug isn't nearly as cute. 

For one serving of the best hot cocoa EVER, simply whisk 1 cup of milk, 2 1/2 tbsp of Nutella, 1tbsp of cocoa, and a tiny pinch of salt together over medium heat until it's nice and hot.  Then transfer to your favorite mug and enjoy.

So now I'm going to do what all girls do on a Slugday.  I'm going to grab a blanket, my steaming mug of hot chocolate, and the girliest line of up movies I can find, and then I shall not be moved from my comfy spot.  (Even though there is plenty for me to do, as the dishes are stacked to the heavens and one of our laundry baskets is overflowing.)

First up, You've Got Mail, because I'm pretty sure Kathleen Kelly is living out the dream life of my soul.  Cute apartment included, weird first boyfriend not-included.


Now.  I'm off to start my day of un-productivity.  Auf Wiedersehen, lovely bloggers.

[photo sources ein, zwei, und drei]

8 comments:

  1. I just LOVE those lazy, "unproductive" days! They are balm for the soul. Enjoy sweet Carrie. And can I tell you - I also thought KK had the perfect little set up - bookstore, cute apt and a love of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of doing the same thing... except I'm watching True Blood season 3 (stolen and burned by Grimmer) and I'm drinking coffee. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those days and they are totally necessary to recharge our batteries. Also love You've Got Mail as I would love to be Kathleen Kelly with my own bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally making that hot chocolate! That sounds AMAZING. And You've Got Mail is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!
    I'm Ashley and the author of the blog A Hasty Life. I just started the well-known challenge 30 for 30. I chose 30 articles of clothing to wear for 30 days. I would love for you to bop on over to my blog and follow me as I attempt this challenge!

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, ladies, those days are indeed neccessary. ;)

    Ashley #1: Let me know what you think! I was in heaven. :)

    Ashley #2: Thanks so much for stopping by. :) Your blog is adorable, and we'd be honored to have you following along here at [carrotspeak.] as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that film as I too would love to have my own children's bookstore (although going out of business doesn't really sound that fun). What other films did you end up watching?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched Moulin Rouge, My Fair Lady, and 10 Things I Hate About You. It was a pretty great day. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.