Saturday, January 22, 2011

Neuleiningen Castle Ruins

One day Kyle and I were on our way to Ramstein to do a little shopping when I looked out the left window and spotted something out of the ordinary.  I said: "Hey, are those castle ruins?"  And lo and behold, it really was.  That's the sort of thing that happens to you when you're living in Europe.  One second you're just driving along, minding your own business, and the next WHAM!  History, Culture and their good friend Fairy Tale smack you right in the face, three on one. 

We went back to explore yesterday.  Have some photos.  The first six are of the countryside on the drive to the ruins.  All the others are of the view from the tower (which is high up on a hill, I might add) and the castle itself.








It should be noted that it was only a few degrees above freezing, and that those shorts were
ridiculous.  But there was no reasoning with him, I'm afraid.  Apparently he doesn't get cold.













As it turns out, the random ruins are actually called the Neuleiningen Castle Ruins.  My totally awesome Googling skills figured out that one.  Apparently, the castle was built in the 13th century by the noble family for which the surrounding town in named -- the House of Leiningen.  Doesn't that sound all fancy and regal?  And those facts were brought to you by this nice little site.  Which I also Googled.

Happy Weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I live about 15 min from a Castle. One of the many reasons that I live in England ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to CANADA in WINTER and Kyle took shorts. He nearly died. Through chattering teeth and pale blue cheeks he swore he was "Fine." Obstinate = Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to see a castle soo bad. i am green with jealousy. i think i would be way too terrified to sit on the wall and/or that part above the picnic table like kyle, though. and what is it about guys and shorts in winter? i constantly see them walking around like it's fifteen degrees warmer than it really is while everyone else is bundled up with jackets and scarfs. ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stasia: It's one of the many reasons I'm loving living in Europe. I have a feeling I would like England too...

    Courtney: There was no shivering. None. I made sure he brought a jacket, just in case, but there was not one single shiver. From him anyway. I was frozen.

    Sarah: He's a monkey. That wall looks huge from the side I was stading on, but it's an even bigger drop on the other side because of the hill. You couldn't have paid me to do that... But it was fun to watch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love walking around ruins and have many memories of when I was a kid doing that exact thing (I also live in England and very happy that we have ruins and castles all over the place).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you manage to visit Neuschwanstein castle? And by the way I did a skydive - one struck off my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gypsy: I haven't been to Neuschwanstein yet, but we're definitely going when we get the time. It's quite a drive, so we have to wait until Kyle has a few days off in a row. And, wow! Good for you! I don't know if I'll ever get the nerve to do a skydive, but I really want to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it was a nice day apart from being so cold!! How cool!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.