Monday, January 31, 2011

Molten Chocolate Cakes

The centers of these cakes are still gooey, providing built-in chocolate sauce for your ice cream.

The Good Housekeeping Cookbook has been my Kitchen Bible since Brianne first introduced me to this recipe eons ago.  I haven't tried anything from this book that I haven't liked, but these little chocolate cakes are my absolute favorite.

Molten Chocolate Cakes
 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick), cut into pieces
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease eight 6 ounce custard cups.  Dust with sugar.

2.  In heavy 3-quart sauce pan, combine chocolate, butter and cream; heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla; with wire whisk, stir in flour just until mixture is smooth.

3.  In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat sugar, eggs, and yolks until thich and lemon-colored, about 10 minutes.  Fold egg mixure, one third at a time, into chocolate mixture until blended.

4.  Divide batter evenly among prepared custard cups.  Place cups in jelly-roll pan.  Bake until the edges of the cakes are set, but the centers still jiggle.  (8-9 minutes)  Cool in pan 3 minutes.  Run thin knife around cakes to loosen from sides of cups; invert onto desert plates.  Serve immediately with ice cream/whipped cream. 

This recipe makes 8 individual cakes.  Each serving is about 280 calories.
Who needs to buy pre-made dessert when you can whip these up at home in less than a half hour?  Seriously.  They only LOOK like they take a lot of effort. 

Dusting the custard cups with sugar is always messy.  At least when I'm the one doing it.  So to spare myself some cleaning, I sift a little powdered sugar over the tops of the cakes before serving.  It's just as pretty with none of the mess.

6 comments:

  1. You are fearless :-). These look wonderful. I love this type of cake and you did a great job with yours. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, that's a high compliment coming from you. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I need one of these RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My trick for light dusting is to use a tea strainer. Or you could use a tea ball. They both have a thin wire mesh and are small for holding one tea bag. I put my flour or sugar in it and then gently tap. It puts a fine mist of flour/sugar right where I want it. No mess.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.