Friday, May 7, 2010

Fill in the Blanks Friday

[For more participants, click here.]
 

1. My favorite book growing up was The Story of Holly and Ivy.  It's heartwarming, and the illustrations are still my favorite from any children's book.  They're beautiful!  Whenever (way down the road) I have a kid (and assuming it's a girl) I'm probably going to frame some of the pictures for the nursery.  I'm dorky like that.




2. The funniest book I've ever read was My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, by Chelsea Handler.








3. The one book that has truly changed my life is actually a series of books:  the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories.  I decided I really wanted to write while reading these.  I mean, if Nancy can track down villians, then I can make up a story.  My dream doesn't require detective tools or a death-wish.





4. If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult. Keep tissues nearby.  It's a beautiful story, and comes highly reccommended, but it's heartbreaking.








5. If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet JK Rowling.  Sure, it's an answer that you could get from 50,000 other Potter-fans.  But who better to talk to if you want to become a successful author in the modern world?  I mean, she wrote an amazing story, and it's one that has been well loved by adults, teens, and children alike.  That's something that doesn't happen often.  Plus, I'd love to know what else she has up her sleeve.



6. The next book on my "to read" list is Eat, Pray, Love,  by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I'm six chapters into the first section.  So far I'm loving it.  The tone is rich with light sarcasm, and the plot is...well it's certainly interesting.  This is one of very few non-fiction books I've ever read and liked.  (Or at least I think I'm going to like it.)




7. If I was snowed into remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring Eat, Pray, Love, since I've already started it; The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, because "snowed in" denotes that it's magically winter, by which time this one will be released; and something by Sandra Brown. Sure, her stuff doesn't exactly qualify as "Literature with a capital L," but she can sure tell a story.

2 comments:

  1. i LOVED this one. books = love.

    my horizontal life and eat, pray, love have both been hanging out in my amazon cart for a while now, but i think i'm going to finally order them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love The Story of Holly and Ivy and read it every Christmas (not that I'm obsessive or anything).

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.