Thursday, May 13, 2010

Common Decency

Alright Bloggers and Bloggettes, brace yourselves. I have a rant to deliver.

There are some things in life which should be inherently understood, and one of them is common decency toward your fellow man.  The fact that Americans are privileged with "free speech" has snowballed into the ridiculous notion that it's perfectly fine to insult anyone about anything based only on your first impression of them.  I am disgusted by this.

It is not acceptable to judge human beings based on things as shallow and their race, gender, weight, hair color, sexual orientation or, God help me, their Twilight t-shirts. 

Not all blonds are stupid.
Not all women are cut out for kitchen work.
Not all respectful guys without a mullet/baggy jeans are gay.
Not all Twilight fans are retarded gothic wannabes.
Not all young mothers are uneducated.
Not all goth kids are mindless.
Not all housewives are spineless morons.
Not all muscular black men are going to grab your purse and run.
Not all single moms are out to find a man with a pay check.
Not everyone in rural areas is stuck there.
Not everyone in the city is heartless and cold.
Not everybody from a rich family is a snob.
Not everyone in a church is a saint.
Not everyone outside of it is Satan himself.

Now then.  It would be a lot easier if we could all just grow up, move on, and be civil.  There isn't a new planet for us to live on if we don't like the way things are going on this one.  The best we can do is love each other, accept what we cannot change, focus on the similarities between us, and try to leave the world with a little more happiness than there was before we were brought into it.

I mean, can you guys just do me a favor?  Could you just tell someone you love them today?  I couldn't care less who it is.  It could be your mom, your brother, your cousin, your best friend, or your neighbor.  Just say something to the effect of:  "Hey, just so you know, you're a decent human being, and I love you for it." 

Could you do that, please?  We need a little more love in the world these days.

And just because I believe people should always "practice what they preach," here you go:


You, reader, who have sat patiently through my rant:

You are beautiful.  You are unique.  There is no one in the world who is quite like you.  Every day you have the enormously powerful potential to shape the lives around you.  You have the ability to reach for exquisite dreams.  You have more strength and more courage than you realize, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.  

Whoever you are, where ever you may be, I love you.  I love you with all of my heart, and I believe in you.  Hold your head high.  Bow to no one.  Do not give in, and do not give up.

I wish you all a wonderful day, and more importantly, a life full of peace, love and joy.

-Carrie

18 comments:

  1. Awe, you go woman! Tell it like it is. :D

    And, of course, you know I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might be guilty of Item #4 on the list. :( Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna: lol. It's okay. You're most definitely not alone. That one got thrown in because I am fed up with a couple people in my lit. classes who refuse to take my opinions seriously after they found out I'm a Stephenie Meyer fan. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. After some not-so-happy responses from people I know personally, I'm glad for all of your comments. Thank you so much for your support! I honestly thought this was a topic we could all agree upon. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So rightly said. The world would be a lot better if we didn't try to force our opinions upon others and accept them as they are. You are a great person Carrie! And I love you for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw. :) Not what I expected, but that certainly works. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Carrie, this is just what I needed to hear today. You're one amazing chica yourself. People can be cruel, cruel, cruel when they need to be, but SO loving when they want to be.

    Thanks for this wonderful post. I think I'll go hug my husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I thought you were talking about Arizona. Today I told my husband I love him and I got a wheelchair for my friend so she wouldn't have to hobble around on crutches all day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... you read my mind exactly. I'm currently visiting family in Chile and spending time with grandma in Santiago. I forgot to racist this society is. I forgot how the color of your skin here determines EVERYTHING. I forgot how frowned upon it is to live in certain places just because they north of a certain street that apparently determines whether you are a good person or a street dweller. It is NOT acceptable indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Honest and empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a great post! If only you could reach more people with it, the world would be a better place! You're a very awesome and empowered person.

    I gave everyone in my English class a hug today when I left and thanked them for being a part of my life, and how much I appreciated their acquaintence. Then I told the lady in the Business Office that her blouse was pretty, and told my cashier in Target to have a wonderful evening. I just love making peoples' days with the simplest actions, don't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks guys! And Sarah, kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is enough space in the world for everyone to BE who they are, and enough love to go around. I don't know why it seems to be so difficult to accept others who differ from ourselves. Fear? I agree Carrie ... it's time for us all to suck it up, resurrect respect and spread a little love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On this topic, I find that we have even more in common than I first believed when I stumbled across your blog over a year ago. I am a mom, wife and teacher that spends at least some part of every day trying to remind people that were are all worthy of respect, regardless of our backgrounds, values, mores, experiences, choices, etc...I am in no way perfect, heaven's no, but good lord I try...knowing that maybe I have touched one kid's heart in my time in the classroom, or that my kids show random kindness to friends or strangers is one of the best things in my life. Thank you for speaking out, maybe your voice will be the butterfly's wings.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.