Thursday, April 15, 2010

Courtney's Magic Meatloaf

My dear bloggy friends, it is time I filled you in on a my latest project...

For a little more than three weeks now (since March 23, if you want to be precise) I've been doing this thing where I don't eat as much as usual, and I refuse to let myself restock my baking cabinet.  There has been a shortage of soda, sweets and anything fried at my apartment, and an abundence of fruit.  So much fruit it doesn't all fit in the fridge willingly.

(Courtney's doing it too.)

Now, I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong.  This is not a diet.  Diets are for people that aren't happy with themselves.  (Which I am, thank you very much.)  They are the things you do for two days, realize that you're starving, and give up immediately.  Diets have a tendency to make you gain weight instead of lose it.  Diets and their dreadful torture tactics, in short, are not for me.

This is something entirely different.  It's what Courtney and I have dubbed a "competitive lifestyle change."  We are trying to see who will be most successful with this little not-eating-bad-things project.  (When pride and bragging rights are at stake it's easier to run away from the cookie aisle at WalMart...) 

For three weeks things have been going smoothly.  I've become best friends with Lean Cuisine, Special K bars and bottled water.  (Bottled water is taking over my kitchen.)  Baking has ceased.  (Well, that's not entirely true.  I made a huge amount of cupcakes and cookies for an Easter party...but I didn't eat a single one.)  (Okay, that's not true either.  I did have one.  But it was just a cookie.  ONE COOKIE!  Have you any idea the will power it takes to stop after one cookie?!?!?)  (Okay, so maybe it was two.)  Anyhoo, the point here is that I've actually been doing quite well.  Cookie fiasco minor mishap aside.

So yesterday when Courtney made meatloaf and mashed potatoes I was distressed.  I thought to myself, "Oh heavens, Carrie, you're done for.  Three weeks of success is about to be massacred by meatloaf and mashed potatoes."  It was a deeply tragic moment.  But not half as tragic as the moment when I realized I had eaten about two servings of both.  And not even a speck as dark and despairing as the moment after that when she brought out chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  (I think this was a tactic.  I think she WANTED me to fail just to get ahead...  But that doesn't really pan out since she ate the meatloaf too.)

I thought I'd fallen into a black hole of disgust and disappointment. 

But then something strange happened.

I confronted the scale this morning to see how much damage I'd done to my so-far-incredible progress, and was astounded to find that the number on the screen was TWO SMALLER than last time. 

Did you hear that?  I ate the meatloaf and mashed potatoes and cookies and still somehow managed to be TWO POUNDS lighter.  What can this mean?  I've been pondering it all morning and I can only come up with one conclusion:

Courtney's meatloaf is magic.  She posted the recipe here.

THE END

PS -- You'll be pleased to know that the so-far-incredible progress I mentioned above refers to the 9.6 lbs I've misplaced in the last three weeks.  And if you're not pleased...well.  I certainly am, anyhow.  :)

21 comments:

  1. OMG! Me too! I gained 2 pounds over the weekend and I thought for sure I'd wake up to another 2 this morning, but nope. I'm back at the original weight I've lost, 8 pounds lighter. I'm pretty sure that was some magic meatloaf. I was so overjoyed, I had some for breakfast... lol Meatloaf and mashed potatoes for breakfast!

    I'm so glad you like it! When someone says they don't like something, I take it as a personal challenge. Haha.

    And, it can't be sabotage if I'm doing it too. In fact, I distinctly remember eating around 12 more cookies than you. And, don't even get me started on Easter and your flipping sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But that doesn't really pan out since she ate the meatloaf too."

    Hey. Read the above quotation. I ruled out sabotage. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie your little cookie fiasco" made me truly "lol" in the computer lab. congrads on the weight lose. And i COMPLETELY agree that "dieting' is not good for you.

    Also i wouldn't mind knowing the recipe for "magic meatloaf" i wouldn't mind eating that and losing weight either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Jon. Lol. I have to have that recipe. I don't even like meatloaf, but hers in fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jon, totally just LOL'd in the SSB lab. :)
    This was quite funny, and I agree that it IS very hard to stop after one.
    I really want the recipe for this 'magic' meatloaf, I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. I'm just imagining everyone I know at Eastern laughing as one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck with your competitive lifestyle change. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted the recipe on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hurray for healthier living, we've not been having sugar since christmas and I feel so much better for it.. its ok to have mishaps occainally as well, cookies are usually my weaknes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Special K bars and bottled water are two of my best friends, too. And I compete with my boyfriend on who can go the longest without fast food and soda. I feel a lot healthier and I'm down 10 pounds. So YAY to us for living and eating healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly is magic meatloaf. You'll have to share the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the non-diet lifestyle change! I'm completely in love with Special K cereal, the one with the strawberries. If I ever get hungry for something that's not apples or carrots (since that's all I have in my measly college fridge) I eat a bowl of that and it's great to not feel very guilty.
    Can't wait for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome about eating so much healthy food!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the lifestyle change! Is there a card for that? Try sabotaging the meatloaf by making little round ones and wrapping them in bacon. Yum! If you watch Food, Inc. you'll really hate junk food and probably the special k bars, too. It's inspired many changes over here, which I'm also posting. What's your weight misplacement goal?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie: The goal is only ten pounds away now!! (145)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is awesome you go girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need some of that meatloaf!! Good for you Carrie. Amazing how just laying off the bad stuff can have such a good affect on our bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY Courtney!
    I shall make it this weekend. :)

    And yes Carrie, we are laughing as one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! An Army of wildly laughing college students! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats!! I'm also trying to change my eating habits. Lean Cuisines are most definitely my best friends. :P

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.