Wednesday, March 24, 2010

An Ode to Uncertainty

An email I just sent to my college advisor:

Dr. Nachtwey,

I apologize for responding to your email so late. I've just claimed a slot on the adivsing worksheet. I know last semester when we met I told you that I was planning to transfer after this semester due to an international move, and I wanted you to know before our appointment that my plans have somewhat changed.

I am still moving, but because my fiance is in the military I cannot move until we are married, and because of issues with his leave, our wedding has been postponed. I'm no long sure when I'll be leaving for Germany. I had planned to be living there by the start of the fall semester so that I could transfer schools smoothly, but now it looks like there is a possibility that I may be in Kentucky until the end of this year. If this happens, I'd be willing to attend another semester here at EKU. Because of this uncertainty, it has become neccessary for me to register for classes so that I don't lose my scholarship, should I need it for another semester after all.

I know this is all very confusing, and believe me I know it's frustrating that my plans seem to change on a daily basis. Everything in my academic future is hanging on the date of my move, and the Army really couldn't care less. I have completed one semester plan for Degree Works, and noted that if I follow through with another semester at EKU, it will indeed be my last here.

Thanks so much for all your help last semester, and for your patience. I'll be seeing you next Monday at 4:00pm.
 -Carrie Chaney

If I were poor Dr. Nachtwey, and I were dealing with so many changes in one student, I'd be ready to resign.  Thankfully I am not Dr. Nachtwey, and I deal with the world flipping upside down daily.

10 comments:

  1. you should keep in mind that most students probably do not communicate well like you are. most students wouldnt say anything until until a decision was made and that would be more frustrating than an honest student [like yourself] explaining their situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though your plans changed at least you keep him well-informed. Plus, you're very courteous about the whole ordeal! He might be slightly annoyed, but hey, advisers are there for a reason right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie,
    I feel for you. You have been dealing with so many changes and upheavals this past year. It can't be easy. I know that eventually you will don that beautiful gown you have chosen and meet him at the alter to start your married life. Until then, be proud of how you are meeting the challenges before you. Keep seeking the gifts in this adverse time. You are getting wiser and stronger by the day. I suppose at the very least, you will learn just how strong and resilient you truly are. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a good letter. I'm sure the advisor will help you out as much as possible. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lyn. If this is the worst of it, then the rest of your life will be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I hope this is the worst of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Carrie, I work in the advising office. We get emails and cases like this, sometimes much worse, everyday. Don't worry. I'm sure Dr. Nachtwey has at least 50+ advisees, and at least 30 of them have some sort of special circumstances. It just comes with the territory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie - This is exactly what makes working with folks your age so enjoyable; it adds a bit of spontaneous challenge to jobs that can become a bit too predictable. e.g., after spending last summer artfully adding sarongs around waistlines to compensate for stylish clothing that shows more skin that we can allow in our public library, one staff member pulled me aside to let me know that the latest pants all have higher waists. Now I have a new problem, the higher waists come with less material in the legs; it seems "hot pants" from the 70's are now in style again. At least I know my summer won't be bored!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think your letter is really well written and though i don't know the rest of the situation, i'd at least believe that he'd appreciate your honesty.
    best of luck to you with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just going to say what Courtney above just posted - that I'm sure your advisor sees situations such as yours all the time, and for him it is no big deal. For you, however, it's mind-boggling and life consuming. Hang in there! You are doing a great job getting through all this...and one day you WILL be "through" it...and on to the next challenge - having learned valuable lessons from this one!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.