Monday, February 1, 2010

Wedding Update #3

Surprise, surprise; luck is not on Kyle's side for the first time in his life.  (Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm involved.  I have horrid luck.  We always knew mine had to rub off on him eventually.)  He is not going to be able to come home this summer for the June wedding like we had hoped.

I, of course, want to move things overseas and stick to our original time schedule.  Mr. Fiance, on the other hand, wants to wait until we can have a big wedding at home.  Unfortunately for me, I can't drag him to a German alter.  He's just too strong after all that Army training.  So I suppose the wedding is going to be postponed until this fall.  Probably sometime in September or October.  August would be the very earliest.

While I like that August is the closest date, the sooner he comes home the less time he'll be able to stay here.  (He gains 2.5 days of leave per month.)  So it's looking like September is the way to go.  : /    It could be much worse, but it could also be better.

There are a few good things that come out of this...even if they don't quite make me thrilled --
  1. I have a definite (Ha!  That's a laughable thought, at this point.) time frame to work with now.
  2. It puts an end to the indoor/outdoor debate.  A fall wedding will be indoor, with maybe a few outdoor photos, due to weather constraints.  It gets quite chilly around here in the fall.
  3. I don't have to worry about which guests could make the international trip.
  4. I'll definitely have to take a full year away from college, as I'll be moving to Germany between next school year's semesters.  That means I'll have PLENTY of free time to plan the details of the wedding, the move, and possibly even squeeze in some time for real writing. : )
  5. Kyle's agreeing to another trip to Germany this summer to visit since it will take longer for us to be together now.  And I plan to see a castle next time around.  ; )
  6. My mom can stop stressing about a passport.  She's called me half a dozen times asking questions about the process, and now it isn't even an issue.
Despite all that, I can't help being disappointed.  I hate that we have to keep postponing the end of this separation.  I hate the waiting.  Sure, I'm willing to do it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  

To sum up my thoughts on the wedding planning, I'll give you one of the few German phrases I've learned so far:

Es geht sehr schlecht.  :(

27 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad that the wedding will be here. I was thinking about as i was driving to school today, and i had determined that there was NO way i could get my fat ass on a plane. But i was getting pretty disappointed that i wasn't going to be able to be there, but looks like i can. But of course this really isn't about me. Just keep thinking of the positive things. And looks like everything has worked out....the man upstairs will always take care of you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you have to postpone it, at least you get the blessing of being able to share your joy with all of your friends and family. Stay strong, because there are AT LEAST 736 people supporting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon Fore, you make my day sometimes. :) I'm glad you can be there, but make no mistake, I would have dragged you on the plane with me. Lol.

    Lexa, these 736 people are a blessing I am grateful for daily. :) Thanks for being one of 'em, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you consider just going before a judge or something in Germany in June or whatever and then having a wedding when you get back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael, I most certainly would. It would speed up the me-moving-to-Germany process. Kyle, on the other hand, doesn't want to. And the huge amount of family at home is on his side. Lol.

    I can understand where they're coming from, definitely...it's just a frustrating situation all around. Plus, I do want them all to get to be at the actual wedding...and having a ceremony after we're already married is kind of like cheating them out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least now you know what you can kinda plan and that you'll be getting married in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is true. My colors changed from bright summery ones to red, caramel and cream shortly before this timing discovery. It coincides pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO! idk about draggin me on a plane....druged up.....maybe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol. I'd manage. With Brianne to help. If you get what I'm saying. Hahaha. Jk. But we'd totally take you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, an overseas wedding was something we looked into but ultimately had to abandon because of family travelling. I feel your pain but ultimately it was a better thing to have done.

    Hang in ther.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Trinity. I'm hanging. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Es tut mir leid...excuse the bad German but I think that means I am sorry. I share the struggle to learn German as well. I am sorry that you had to postpone the wedding but nevertheless you are getting married. Time flies and soon enough you'll be together again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it's hard being away for so long, but this sounds like it's all going to work out really well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allie, true. At the end of the...year?...all that matters is that we are married. Lol. And the faster this time flies the better! ;)

    Jen, I'm certainly hoping so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw i'm sorry. hopefully with the extra waiting though, your wedding will be even better than amazing. oh, and what does that german phrase mean?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you'll have a great tan for the wedding. Just tell Kyle that for every month he makes you wait you are increasing the guest list by 100 people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When do your leaves start changing colors? That can make for some very stunning wedding photos :)

    I would encourage your mom to go ahead and get a passport anyway, as you will eventually be moving overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. While it sucks that things aren't going according to plan, just think of this - you WILL be marrying Kyle, all of your friends and family WILL be there, and most importantly, you WILL get to have a big beautiful wedding (and in the fall too, I'm so jealous that I'm not getting married!). Powers greater than ourselves have plans for all of us. I think this is part of their plan for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah, it just means that "It's going very badly." Lol. I was feeling pessimistic at the time and that's one of the few phrases I know.

    Julie, I just told him that via webcam. lol.

    Robyn, They'll be turning by September for sure. Should be beautiful. :) And I am encouraging the passport. It's just a relief that she doesn't have to come up with the money right this second.

    Sarah, yes, the "everything happens for a reason" mantra plays over and over in my head constantly. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carrie, I could sense your disappointment despite your valiant efforts to stay positive. Your dream is withing reach -- just on a different timetable. I feel for you and for lack of being able to offer any words that will comfort - I will leave you with this: Liebe überlebt alles.

    Hugs to one of my favourite blogger pals XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Lyn. Sometimes just knowing someone is there for you is better than any words to be found. I don't think you'll ever be able to know how much your friendship has meant to me over the long lonely months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. bhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! yeah i would prolly give in LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carrie when you see the joy and happiness of the people you love most who couldn't have gone to your wedding had it been international I think you'll realize waiting for it to be at home was totally worth it! Glad that you at least got it sorted out and a burden of stress was taken off of you. Best wishes.

    <3 Ferni

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carrie...sorry to hear that your plans will have to be postponed :( believe me...once you get started (and have a firm date) it will come around before you know it!! Four and a half weeks left for me and i am scrambling, no matter how organised i was 6 months ago!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ferni, yes, the fact that we at least have a decision is a relief.

    Victoria, that's something I'm hoping for. Lol. Best wishes for your own wedding! I'm sure it will be wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I guess it's obvious I'm OLD, because a couple of months to wait is a whole lot easier than if you had to postpone it for a year or so! Months fly by so fast for me now that it's almost like you're not moving the date at all!!! I know, I know, you're still young and WANTING TO GET MARRIED, and even minutes of waiting is painful! I'm glad you have a country now to wed in and a date!

    On a totally different subject, it cracks me up that you are learning German even as I am learning Italian! I took German in high school and loved it, although I was lousy at speaking it. And of course, that was close to an eternity ago. Love you, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Elaine, ...I don't know. In some ways I feel like it's not that big a deal. But on the lonely days I feel like I'll SCREAM if I have to wait even one more extra second. Lol. I know in the end the extra couple months won't matter much, but right now they're infuriating.

    Italian?!?! That sounds like it would be very difficult. German is going smoothly so far, but then again we're only learning introductions and the numbers. Lol. I'm sure it'll be more challenging within the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.