Friday, February 5, 2010

Not Your Typical College Girls' Dinner

Carrie's cooking adventures are back with a bang, and you can credit it in part to Brianne.  She and I have rather snobbish taste in food; we don't settle for the normal college cuisine of Ramen Noodles and pizza deliveries.  Oh no.  Instead we prefer trying out new and sometimes complicated recipes, and having mini dinner parties.  Weird, we know.

Tonight Brianne, Jon, and myself enjoyed this yummy chicken smothered in garlic, peppers, onions and mozzarella cheese, paired with red potatoes roasted with fresh basil, parsley and chives.  It was amazing

Also, of course, no meal is complete without a desert.  So Brianne and I improvised and came up with our own "cake mix doctor" recipe.

Wanna know how we did it?  I thought you might.  There are recipes listed below for your cooking convenience.  : )

Smothered Chicken:

-garlic salt
-crushed red pepper
-chicken breast / chicken breast tenders
-one small onion, diced small
-about half a green bell pepper, diced small
-one clove fresh garlic, minced
-2.5 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
-mozzarella cheese slices

1) Begin by warming the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic.  Saute for about five minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
2) Remove vegetables from oil and place in a paper towel lined bowl.
3) Liberally season the chicken breasts with garlic salt and crushed red pepper.  Cook on a George Foreman grill.
4) Place the cooked meat into a baking dish, and completely cover with sauteed vegetables and mozzarella cheese slices.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 450/F for about 15 minutes.

Herb Roasted Potatoes:

-2 lbs red potatoes
-1 TBSP fresh basil
-1 TBSP fresh parsley
-1 TBSP fresh chives
-2 TBSP butter
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp pepper

1) In a medium sauce pan melt butter, stirring in seasonings and herbs.
2) Add potatoes, coating them completely in the mixture.
3) Fold the potatoes into an aluminum foil pouch, place the foil packet into a baking dish, and bake at 450/F for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked thoroughly.

Chocolate Chunk Butter Pecan Cake
with Mocha Buttercream Frosting:

Cake:

-one box butter pecan cake mix
-1 cup chopped pecans
-1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks

Prepare cake mix as directed, adding pecans and chocolate chunks last. 

Frosting:

-8 TBSP (1 stick) butter at room temperature
-3 3/4 confectioners sugar
-2 tsp vanilla
-1/3 cup cocoa
-4-5 TBSP coffee, prepared

Beat ingredients together with a mixer until smooth.  Frost cake only after it has cooled completely.

PS -- Brianne announced that I looked like Sue Sylvester from Glee in my green jacket today.  I guess I sort-of-kind-of see the resemblance...


PPS -- Since my camera hasn't been working correctly, I've only just been able to snitch the images from the Post Secret lecture with Frank Warren from Brianne.  I updated that post today with the best of our photos, in case you'd like to see it.  We were in the third row, so our pictures turned out fantastic.  : )

18 comments:

  1. I love not eating like a typical college student. I made pot roast last night. How many college students do that?

    Although, to be fair, I also ate cocoa puffs and leftover chicken wings for dinner earlier this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Not many do that for sure. But the cocoa puffs are completely norman. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie...YUM YUM YUM!!! I lived at home for university and only moved out for grad school...where i had enough grant money to ensure that I didn't eat like a typical college student...except for Kraft Maceroni and Cheese (my weakness)! This looks totally fab and so so so fun having a proper dinner party! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. scrummy...I need to get food now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O. M. G. I ate your potatoes for breakfast today. They are WAY better than mine. I'm in lurve.

    And that's how Courtney C's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you're not eating ramen or any variation of it. Read the package. Loaded with salt. You're probably saving your heart. I remember experimenting in college with different foods and spices. I also remember one week I had only $20 to eat for the entire week. Ugh! That was a bad week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, yes, quick college-ish foods are usually killer on the health scale.

    Courtney, yay! :) I'm glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. carrie! that looks amazing. my mouth is literally watering right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you handmade the cake icing.......you should write a cookbook carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. Thanks guys. :)

    And Jon, the frosting recipe came from the book you gave me for Christmas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome! that cake was sooooo yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of this looks and sounds so good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks SO GOOD!! oooohhh I'm so hungry! I need to go grocery shopping tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jon, why thank you. :) Everyone has liked it so far...

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks SO yum! Esp the chicken dish!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.