Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Updates: Frank Warren Breaks the Monotony of Richmond, KY

So...it's been a while since my last "real post."

I really don't know what to say for myself.  Every day here is the same.  I have fallen back into my old routine with ease.  I wake up at the same time each morning, work and attend classes at the same hours every afternoon, and return home at approximately the same time every evening.  I study.  I watch seasons of Desperate Housewives and Glee.  I spend copious amounts of time staring at my phone.  Somehow I didn't think that would make for an interesting post.

However, last Thursday was a bit of excitement, so I'm back to fill you all in.  Frank Warren of Post Secret came to our campus to give a lecture.  (If any of you haven't yet experienced Post Secret, please click the link.)  It was full of inspiration and encouragement.  He said that there are "thousands of wonderful ideas out there just waiting for someone to believe" in them.  He discussed the benefits and virtues of the blog during his lecture, which of course had me pleased as punch.  (That expression has never made sense to me, but my mom used to say it, and I guess it sort of works here.)  He discussed the blog as a living breathing thing (as opposed to the book form of Post Secret): when you read it, you know there is someone out there right now that is feeling those emotions.  When you connect with something on a blog you find someone in your shoes at that very moment, and that enables us to reach out to one another.  He emphasized the power of human connection that is possible through online resources.


As the owner of one of the few blogs ever to reach the maximum number of followers (a whopping 10,000) he's a great hero of mine.  Brianne and I were fortunate enough to get to meet him, and I was pleasantly surprised by the level of humility he's been able to retain.  Despite his fame, Frank stays true to his original goals with the project:  giving people a voice and showcasing the extraordinary in every-day lives.

It was an impressive presentation.  We were able to see post cards that had been banned from the book, and given an open mic to share our own secrets and stories.  It was incredible to hear what our classmates had to say.  It was an unexpected treat to find that we've been walking among people who aren't so ordinary after all.  They shared things that were touching, odd, beautiful, and heart-breaking.  And when the night was over, I like to think they went home feeling a little bit better to have shared.

Other than that, the days have been gliding past without interruption.  My countdowns still look less intimidating with each second that ticks away.  My heart still breaks and mends on a daily basis.  My classes are still manageable.  My friends are still my saviors.  My family is still the best I could ever ask for.  My phone still hasn't rang today.  The old cliche is true:  Time marches on.

(For those of you who read my MaDM post last week, I am pleased to tell you that my great grandmother is back at home again, stumping medical officials for what seems to be the thousandth time. She's a tough cookie, that one. I like to think I'm a little bit like her.)

20 comments:

  1. I'm happy that your great grandma is doing well.
    That sounds really exciting, Frank visiting. I might have remotely heard of Post Secret before, but this is the first time I've actually went and looked at the blog. I'm eager to explore it more.
    It sucks that your days have been monotonous, but at least nothing earth shattering is happening.
    Time will being to fly!

    <3
    Lexa
    http://cardiac-outbursts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I love Frank and Postsecret. I went to a lecture he had in Denver in December but was slightly disappointed because he only opened the floor for 20 minutes. I've always hear about the emotional secrets people share at these events so that's what I was expecting. I guess he had to catch a flight and we weren't on a college campus, but I did feel a little cheated. Nonetheless, I love this project and I loved reading about your take on it. Carrie on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, so glad to finally "hear" from you. I know you have alot on your plate. I love Warren's blog - I think it is one of the most original ideas I've seen in blogland - and it is remarkable how people have responded to the notion of sharing a secret. Glad your GG is proving to be a miracle - yet again. Keep marching girl!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again for the continued support, guys. :)

    I loved getting to hear him talk about the birth of the Post Secret idea and his family and friends' reactions to it. It puts him back on the same level as bloggers like us...but a blogger like us who got very lucky. Lol. It was nice.

    Racheal: I'm sorry you guys didn't get to have more floor time! That really was one of the most impressive parts of his lecture. He responded to a few of the stories, and even offered to help one girl get her suicide prevention program up and running. It's a shame you all missed that. :/

    Lyn: Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Lol. It's been a week filled with busy-work...things that are neccessary but don't really mean much. Last Thursday was the exception to that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Frank Warren at a lecture he gave at the University of Iowa. It was quite interesting, and I am glad he went. I happen to be one of those 10,000 followers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, being one of those 10,000 is something I'm quite proud of. ;) I feel slightly ahead of the curve for once. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read post secret every week until it started making me feel weird, most of the secrets seem to be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Postsecret is amazing! SO incredibly jealous that Frank came to your school campus. I've always wanted to go to one of those. This year, it's at another college close by, but it's during my class. Should I skip? Hmmm.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. mollymouse: I in no way encourage class-skipping. BUT...I'd totally do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to hear you're still marching on! Have you decided what to do about the wedding this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh i'm so jealous you got to go to a post secret lecture. i'm dying to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crazy Shenanigans: ...kind of. Lol. I'm honestly kind of hoping for a wedding in Germany because it would be SO much simpler (and more romantic...). If Kyle can come home then I'm going to call up my reinforcements and plan the wedding on hyper speed. I have enough help that I think I should be able to pull it off. If not, I'm taking my parents, brother, an aunt and uncle, possibly my maternal grandparents, my two best friends (maybe three if she could make it), and Kyle's mother and sister and brother-in-law and hopping a plane to Europe. Thirteen guests isn't bad for a wedding 4400 miles away, huh? Anyhow, everything is riding on how his leave works out.

    Thanks for asking! :)

    Fashionista: Are there any stops in a city near you on the tour?? I really hope so, it was amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How neat! I went when he visited Vanderbilt in TN. It was so wonderful, and very touching. Some audience members cried while revealing their secrets; complete strangers hugged each other. It was so worth the ticket.

    I even got a picture with Frank, and display it proudly in one of my Facebook albums. He's tall in real life, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you met the guy from post secret? that's so awesome!!! i spent a good hour in borders flippin through his book and reading all the anonymous secrets. some were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura: He is indeed tall. Lol. And the complete strangers hugging happened here too. It was such a profound experience. There really aren't words to do it justice. :)

    Mayra: lol. Yes. It was one of the highlights of my life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is awesome. I wish that was something I could have gotten to see. A blogger who no longer blogs did a virtual post secrets and it was great. Before that I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. after reading your about me, i've decided that you're cool times infinity. it's nice to meet someone else who wants to be a librarian, although that will have to be a master's degree for me. so many of my friends are going what you're going through, so i have a small, tiny idea of what it must feel like to have the person you love risking his life far away from you.

    i can't wait to see your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sara: Aww, thank you! :) I have to obtain a masters too, but that's not something I can even think about until Kyle's Army contract is over. I agree, it's nice to meet another librarian in the making. I was beginning to think I was the only one! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. :) Thanks, Mire. It really was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.