Friday, December 18, 2009

Blogger of the Month - December 2009

Photobucket

Hello, and welcome to the first announcement ceremony of the highly coveted Blogger of the Month Award!

First, a detailing of the standards of these winners:  The recipient of this award is a blogger who exemplifies the core traits of a good blog.  Their blog must be well written, clear, and must keep readers up to date.  It should exhibit a true story, not something fabricated, and should strive to reach out to its readers.  The  connections made by blogging are invaluable, and the blogger should seem to understand that.  It should be something that makes the audience want to hear more, and should in turn sate that curiosity.

This month I chose to recognize a blogger I have been following for a few months, and one that is highly deserving.  Her blog has really resonated with me lately, and I think there's a good chance you'll love it too.  So with no further fuss, let's give a big "Congratulations" to Whitney from Glamorous Life of a Housewife!

Whitney's blog is the poignantly penned account of the life she has created with her husband and baby son.  She discusses everything from mundane chores to the many stresses of being married to a man in med school, but through her words these things become filled with as much magic for us readers as they surely are through her own eyes.  It has been an absolute delight to accompany her through this precious but sometimes trying time in her life.

When you arrive on Whitney's blog, you are affronted by a quaint, fifties inspired header featuring the cliche pearl-clad housewife, feather duster in hand.  The subtitle makes us the immediate promise that she is going to reveal the "charm in chores and the magic in motherhood."  For anyone who knows anything about the day-to-day of a stay at home mother, those are bold words, but it's a vow she makes good on.   Each of Levi's accomplishments are described with charming adoration that is contagious,  each visit to her family is an adventure, and I've quickly found that Whitney's mother is a force to be reckoned with:  straight out of a...dare I say old-fashioned?...era and firmly set in her good natured ways.  Recently she engaged in a task worthy of my Making a Difference Mondays on overdrive:  hugging a completely unknown homeless man and contributing to his supposed dinner fund in the middle of what sounds like a very shady downtown area.  She is certainly among the bravest and most caring souls I've had the pleasure of knowing (sort of), and she's also the lady that supplied Whitney with her huge amount of housewifey-know-how.

Whitney is quite open with her readers, responding to emails and comments promptly, which is quite a feat as she has more than six hundred twenty followers to date.  Despite her fame, she is down-to-earth and engaging.  She says that the "most rewarding part of blogging for me, is definitely the readers and the relationships I have built with them.  It is so encouraging to know that I can get on here and vent or just talk, and SOMEONE will always be able to relate." 

She stays true to her beliefs, and is a daily source of my inspiration, so, naturally, I was curious as to where she found her own.  When I emailed her to ask if she'd be the first recipient of my award, I asked her what things spurred her blogging, this is what she had to say:  "I draw inspiration for my blog through my day to day life.  Living life as a housewife and new mom is quite interesting as I try to balance being a good mom AND a good wife, all while trying to keep a nice home.  Sometimes that is a struggle, so I wake up every day trying to live as my tag-line states -- finding the charm in chores and the magic in motherhood."  She went on to explain that she had always "journaled and such," so when blogging became popular she decided to give it a go.  It was a more efficient way of documenting, and the reader response was a big plus.   That a statement to which I'd wager we can all relate.

I can only hope I will be able to meet the challenges of keeping a home and starting a family with half as much grace as this young woman, and even more challenging, that I can make it as entertaining for you readers!

Pop on over and give Whitney a congratulatory comment, and while you're there, take a deeper look.  Who knows, her blog might become one of your favorite places to visit as well.

Congrats, dear, and the very best of wishes in all you do.

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet write up about my family and me. Thank you! I am honored to be Blogger of the Month. You made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad you like it, and you're very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Whitney :) her Blog is really wonderful and cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's absolutely adorable. Glad you liked it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey chica, just thought i'd let you know that i photo-tagged you! head to my blog to find your special color! have a great weekend and a fabulous trip to germany. and if you're going to be anywhere near Stuttgart, let me know because i have a great friend that lives there and she and you could hang out while your boys are working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a darling lady. I love her blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea, after reading this post, I think I need to check out her blog!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kattrina, thanks for the tag! I'll stop by as soon as I'm done here. :) I think I'll be about an hour from there, according to google.

    Queen Mama, I completely agree. I'm glad you agree with the choice for this month. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.