This time I don't feel like we're being deliberately tested. Kyle and I have made it through our first separation in tact, and what's more, we emerged even stronger on the other side. From the moment we were reunited, most of my fears about what strain his career would put on our relationship have disappeared. I feel like we've proven that love really is enough to keep us together through whatever may come.
Distance is also much less daunting now that we're engaged. I didn't expect the difference it made in my attitude, but it really has been altered tremendously. Any time I become overwhelmed by how long we've been apart I catch sight of a certain sparkling thing on my finger, and I'm reminded that it promises me a forever that will outweigh any separation the Army can throw at us. It's empowering. It makes me strong, fearless, and able to conquer the challenges that our being apart poses.It has also been wonderful to have such a support system in place this time. I have a huge circle of friends and family that now know how to handle my sad days, and I really can't thank them enough. They make sure I constantly have something to occupy my time, but can also recognize the occasional day when I just need them to be there while I cry.
Of course, the near constant flow of communication has been wonderful. I really don't know how I stayed sane waiting for once-a-week phone calls while Kyle was still in Basic. It was awful, but now I can look forward to hearing from him at least once each day. :) I wouldn't trade those phone calls for anything, outrageous bill or none.
All in all, and in comparison to the last "month one," this has been a breeze. I've accomplished quite a bit while Kyle's been away, and I've come to realize that for everything we miss out on while we're apart, we gain something that is invaluable to our relationship. Each little thing we survive without strengthens us, builds our trust, and makes the time we do spend together a bit more precious.
Now, let's take a look at what I've been up to this month, shall we?
- I founded the Page Turner's Book Club with Whitney from a cheery disposition...
- I began making preparations for my move into the apartment: packing, organizing, making phone calls to my landlord to arrange that my move in day be changed from Sunday to Friday, doing some crazy-but-fun shopping for housewares, arranging a storage area for my things that I'll need to put away until I return from Germany... It's been stressful, but now that I'm almost ready to make the move, I know it's worth it. :)
- I started looking into online universities so I'll be prepared to continue my education after the wedding.
- Speaking of the wedding, I've also selected my bridesmaids, chose my color scheme (navy blue, teal, and caramel), purchased the dress (eeeeeek!), set a tentative date of June 5th, and started looking at locations. Hows that for beginning early?
- I've managed to keep a 3.2 GPA while stressing about all these other things.
- I found my way out of phone bill hell.
- I made time to go to an incredible AFI concert, and stuck around extra late to meet the band.