Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Month One in Review:

Today it has been exactly one month since Kyle left.  Honestly, it's difficult to believe it has actually been this long.  I have been unbelievably busy lately, and time is flying.  I'm more than grateful for that.  I can remember distinctly the first month of our last separation.  That one didn't pass nearly as quickly.  It was torture during every second.  A lot has changed since then though, and the changes have made this so much easier.

This time I don't feel like we're being deliberately tested.  Kyle and I have made it through our first separation in tact, and what's more, we emerged even stronger on the other side.  From the moment we were reunited, most of my fears about what strain his career would put on our relationship have disappeared.  I feel like we've proven that love really is enough to keep us together through whatever may come.

Distance is also much less daunting now that we're engaged.  I didn't expect the difference it made in my attitude, but it really has been altered tremendously.  Any time I become overwhelmed by how long we've been apart I catch sight of a certain sparkling thing on my finger, and I'm reminded that it promises me a forever that will outweigh any separation the Army can throw at us.  It's empowering.  It makes me strong, fearless, and able to conquer the challenges that our being apart poses.

It has also been wonderful to have such a support system in place this time.  I have a huge circle of friends and family that now know how to handle my sad days, and I really can't thank them enough.  They make sure I constantly have something to occupy my time, but can also recognize the occasional day when I just need them to be there while I cry.

Of course, the near constant flow of communication has been wonderful.  I really don't know how I stayed sane waiting for once-a-week phone calls while Kyle was still in Basic.  It was awful, but now I can look forward to hearing from him at least once each day.  :)  I wouldn't trade those phone calls for anything, outrageous bill or none.

All in all, and in comparison to the last "month one," this has been a breeze.  I've accomplished quite a bit while Kyle's been away, and I've come to realize that for everything we miss out on while we're apart, we gain something that is invaluable to our relationship.  Each little thing we survive without strengthens us, builds our trust, and makes the time we do spend together a bit more precious.

Now, let's take a look at what I've been up to this month, shall we?
  • I founded the Page Turner's Book Club with Whitney from a cheery disposition...
  • I began making preparations for my move into the apartment:  packing, organizing, making phone calls to my landlord to arrange that my move in day be changed from Sunday to Friday, doing some crazy-but-fun shopping for housewares, arranging a storage area for my things that I'll need to put away until I return from Germany...  It's been stressful, but now that I'm almost ready to make the move, I know it's worth it.  :)
  • I started looking into online universities so I'll be prepared to continue my education after the wedding.
  • Speaking of the wedding, I've also selected my bridesmaids, chose my color scheme (navy blue, teal, and caramel), purchased the dress (eeeeeek!), set a tentative date of June 5th, and started looking at locations.  Hows that for beginning early?
  • I've managed to keep a 3.2 GPA while stressing about all these other things. 
  • I found my way out of phone bill hell.
  • I made time to go to an incredible AFI concert, and stuck around extra late to meet the band.
It's a pretty good list, don't you think?  I'd give my month...3 out of 5 stars.  That's probably about the best it could hope for while Kyle's missing from my life.  :)

22 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you are doing well this month. I loved planning our wedding and it will keep you very busy! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've been doing pretty well :) It's amazing how time flies when you keep yourself busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I think I'm just beginning to realize how much time goes into planning a wedding. It's so difficult to make even the smallest decision... I know I must sound niave for not anticipating this, but I guess I never thought about it much.

    kelleidoscope, it is amazing indeed. :)

    Thanks for stopping by, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on picking your bridesmaids. The wedding process must be so stressful. I haven't gone through it yet, but I'm sure I would be one of those bridezillas who gets stressed over everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly, becoming one of those bridezillas is my worst fear. Luckily I have a very strong, opinionated friends who'd thoroughly kick me if I tried. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, I'm glad things are going so much easier this time. Communication really does help everything.

    Congrats on getting so much wedding stuff done! I know I can't wait for pictures already, Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you also managed to have a 3.2 gpa by skipping classes and making runs to casa, walmart and that place with NASTY ice cream :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachael, I'm going to try and do a post soon about the ideas I have so far. :) I'm so excited! I'll be able to focus more on the wedding after I've moved.

    Jon, you make a good point. ;) And Culver's ice cream is WONDERFUL. Tehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I'm one of the strong, opinionated friends. No Bridezillas, please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. busy month. and your color scheme sounds awesome. most weddings i go to are either pastel pink, blue, or purple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney, you were on that list. Lol.

    Sarah, thank you! :) I've had a lot of people say it was odd, but I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy that month one has been better this time then the first time around! I am also happy that you are packing your day with activities yet keeping the basics a must and that the one call you get a day makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally believe that if you can get through long distance you can get through anything in a relationship. I'm really glad that its going faster for you this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rhianne, I think after dealing with distance I'd have to agree. It's probably one of the toughest things out there, but it's managable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - you sound so busy. That's great! I can't believe how far you've gotten on your wedding - I'm so jealous. I think I have to move mine up to March or April and I have done NOTHING! You are amazing! Moving into your own apartment is exciting and moving to Germany even more so. Remember - change is good, right! Abrazos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "And though we both seem to have wanted it this way/I do believe I'm feelin' stronger every day" as Chicago sang (though about a totally different subject than being separated from your fiance). It's good that things seem to be coming together (AND you're managing to keep up your studies; gosh, I don't know HOW you do it).

    Sounds like an original and uniquely harmonious color scheme you've selected for the wedding, too. Never would've thought of navy blue, teal, and caramel, not in a million years. Even now I'm having trouble getting a mental image together. I might have to go call up images of all three colors and stare at them side-by-side to envision it properly. But it SOUNDS neat...

    I'll have to check out that book club.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful! Glad to hear the month has went so well for you and that the wedding planning is coming along. Too bad Kyle's a reader. I know we are all dying to see a photo of the dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Postman: The colors are peacock-feather inspired, and the bookclub would love to have you. :)

    Jessica: I've been thinking of banning him from the blog for a while just so I can show you guys the dress and stuff. I really really really wanna share it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so great that time has been flying!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crazy Shenanigans, I couldn't agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your color choices for your wedding girl. I can't wait till it happens so we can see lots, and lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found your blog and I love it! I know how hard LDR can be, I'm glad you're finding this time round easier! Looking forward to reading more of your blog :)
    ps. Love the excerpt of your story! Great writing

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.