Friday, October 2, 2009

Meeting Stephenie Meyer

WARNING:  I am a complete and total fan girl in this post.  I am going to be pictured wearing home-made Twilight t-shirts.  I am not the slightest bit ashamed of this.  Do not proceed beyond this point if you do not want to be exposed to this portion of my life, or if you have some unnatural aversion to all things Twilight

This photo was taken on the way to Cincinnati. 
It rained nearly the entire way, setting the mood nicely.

Since many of you have asked about how I met Stephenie Meyer, I’ve decided to do a very belated post about it. Meeting Stephenie was my 17th birthday gift.  Stephenie was on her book signing tour; the date was September 10, 2007.  Two of my best friends, Kylie and Raina, and me skipped a day of school and drove to a Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Cincinnati, OH, to be the first in line.  We knew it was going to be an amazing trip when we had to take “Edwards Road” to get there.



We were the first to arrive by far. We were there nearly five hours early and at the time there wasn’t nearly as much hype about the books. Probably about 150 people turned out in the end. We waited patiently, reading Post Secret books to pass the time.

Eventually, after an excruciating wait, Stephenie descended the staircase to answer our many questions. She explained the origins of some of the characters’ names, told us that we shouldn’t be disappointed by Jacob, and that she would spill nothing about the fourth book’s plot. Finally, she said she’d accept just one more question before the signing would begin.

It's poorly lit, and she's teeny tiny, but this is a photo of our first
glimpse of Stephenie Meyer.  *squeel*

The three of us jumped up and down, literally, hands waving in the air. After a moment of careful consideration, she points directly at our group. Kylie and I were speechless. Raina, never at a loss for words, did the talking.  Luckily we’d decided on our question long before we’d arrived…

“Do you read Harry Potter?”

A hush fell over the crowd.

“Doesn’t everyone?”

And the audience let out a roar like I’ve never heard. We were elated. Not only was Stephenie the creator of every girl’s dream man (kind of), she was also a kindred spirit. Suddenly she was human too, someone we with whom we could relate. =)

Is it just me or do her teeth look a little pointy here?

We waited in line for at least an hour before we made it up the gigantic staircase and around to the table where Stephenie was signing the books. When it was our turn, she made our night perfect. She looked up, signed a book, and then did a double take.

“I love your shirts! Where did you find them?”

Aren't they gorgeous?  And if you can't read those:
Kylie (front):  "Bite me Edward."
Me (middle):  "My standards are set according to Edward Cullen."
Raina (back):  "My heart belongs to Edward." 
The back of hers said: "And so does my neck."

And so we were able to explain that we’d made them ourselves. =) Let me tell you, it was an amazing experience. I couldn’t believe how ‘down to earth’ she was. I’d expected her to be sort of snobby, and that wouldn’t really have bothered me. In my eyes, she was a literary hero, and therefore deserving of whatever attitude she chose. The fact that she really appreciates her fans makes her all the more wonderful. It isn’t every day that you meet someone who isn’t negatively affected by fame.

Oh, I’d love to meet her again…especially in a smaller setting. I’d love to really get to talk to her.

This is an image of the autograph that now resides inside the cover
of my copy of Twilight.  It's a very special copy indeed.  It's the one
most of my friends borrowed for their first Twilight experience.   It's tattered
and well-worn, but that just goes to show how much it was loved.  :)

36 comments:

  1. That's so great! And she's from Utah so I have an even greater love for her. haha.

    I love Twilight too I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've been a fan of twilight way before the movies, tbh some of the obsessed teenies make me want to smack somebody :|
    But then I remember how I used to be and I have to refrain. ;)
    I can't really talk. I'm a Jonas fan (definitely not the teenie kind) but JB fans tend to be just as crazy or crazier than Twilight fans :|
    Ah well, what can you do? I'm excited for New Moon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all secretly love the Twilight series. Even the people who pretend not to. They're just too afraid to be lumped into the "crazy fan" group. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much into Twilight but I understand how exciting this is. I got meet my favorite star (Tom DeLonge of blink-182/Angels and Airwaves) last year at Warped Tour and it was unbelievably thrilling. Glad you got to meet an idol as well :)

    And your shirts are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen: Awesome. :) Good for you!

    My best friend Kylie and I, and a bunch of other people, are going to an AFI concert in Cincinnati next Monday. We all have our fingers crossed that Kylie will get to meet them. They've been her favorite band since we were in middle school... Hopefully I'll have some photos and a great story to post on Tuesday/Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's so exciting! & the shirts are so cute; especially Kylie's. Thanks for sharing; I think I had a little bit of a fan girl moment right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm Courtney and I'm a Twilighter. It's with Carrie's love and support that I can finally be open about my fandom. Thanks, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you a lucky girl, getting to meet Stephenie Meyer! :) I know loads of girls who would love to have that experience!

    Love the t-shirts - very original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kess: I know a ton more that would rather meet the actors. LOL. ;)

    I can honestly say I'm not one of them. I'm proud that I was a book-fan before a movie-fan. :)

    Courtney Paige: L. O. L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! what?!! are you kidding me right now. i am beyond jealous. i am OBSESSED with twiligh and stephenie meyer. gosh i wish i had her life.

    and yes edward vs. rob...totally edward. he's a dreamboat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome. :) My boyfriend loves AFI. I need to listen to them more--I only know "Miss Murder" and refer to it as "the song with the bunny video," lol.

    We went to the blink/fall out boy/all American rejects concert on Sunday. We had barricade and it was epic.

    Have fun at your show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is Twilight and American thing?? I'm not sure I've heard of them. I loved the Harry Potter books are they like them ?? I should see if I can find them over here. What is the first book called >??
    Thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stoppin by my bloggy glad you liked it : ). your post is too cute. I've never read the books but I've seen the movie. I wasn't super crazed by it I found the fact that he glittered hysterical but everyone keeps telling me the books are better... Edward is so dreamy so at least it made for some good eye candy! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. straw76berry: Oh. My. Gosh. You poor dear. You need to look these books up. I'm a little stunned. I'm so used to the hysteria about the books here that it didn't really occur to me that there might be places where they aren't so popular.

    Twilight is a series about vampires. It's wonderful. I think I like Harry Potter better, but it's a very close call.

    There are four books in this set:
    1-Twilight
    2-New Moon
    3-Eclipse
    4-Breaking Dawn

    They're all by Stephenie Meyer, who has also written one other book, The Host, that isn't in the series. You really need to look up all five of them. You'll love it. :)

    Ferni: The books are better than the movie by far. The two need to be treated as two totally separate things. The characters are so different, and a lot of the scenes went differently as well. One thing I hated about the movie was how cheesy the whole glittering thing was made to be. :/ It comes off much differently in the books. Give it a shot, and let me know what you thought of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very jealous! When my husband was stationed at Camp Lejeune, myself and other Marine Wives would get together and gossip about twilight :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, I'm too jealous right now. I love those books! Can't wait for the second movie either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aha! you guys are adorable (: glad you had fun! and I bet she was amused by those t-shirts. have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhh I am so glad that you posted these pictures. I absolutely love Twilight!!! I agree with you when you say that the movie and the book should be seen as two separate things. With all the books I guess Stephenie's writing made it easier to imagine what it should be like. And as a twilight fan I have to say that Edward did not sparkle like I thought he would. I guess CGI effects haven't caught up with our imaginations yet.
    Oh and your t-shirts are amazing. If you were to sell them I would buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't care much for Twilight but I think it's really cool you got to meet her :) And especially cool that she was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read them all and love them too. I love the question you guys came up with to ask her and loved her answer even more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As most boys I know would say; I don't really get what's so great about those books, but it's still cool that you met her! I almost got David Ortiz to autograph my copy of his auto-biography, but he had to leave for his game that night... just before we got in line! Long story, I'll blog about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It must be GREAT to meet the author and get your book signed.

    I LOVE the Twilight Saga series (eventhough I am only reading the 2nd book and planning to read the rest)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Twilight and I am glad that she exceeded your expectations! Great to know she is 'normal'!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love twilight! your so lucky to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  25. so carrie can i assume you are team edward? (:

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's awesome, Carrie.

    Your shirts look professionally made :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks guys for the compliments on the shirts! :)

    And no, I'm not Team Edward. I'm Team Jacob, but this was at the premier of the third book, so I hadn't finished it yet when we met Stephenie. That was the book in which I jumped over to the Jacob side of the fence.

    I now have a Team Jacob shirt as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Even though I am not a huge fan of the series I can appreciate her writing and anything to get the young people of America reading is good by me! I met MY fave author Jodi Picoult a few years ago and it was AMAZING! And I do gibe you props on the shirts...very creative! I am a new follower and just want to say also that I am loving your writing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sara: Oh, I'm jealous! Jodi Picoult is another of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am super jealous. I love Twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whenever we're in the theatres and a twilight preview comes on, at the end of it when it's really quiet we go "LAME" and then everybody else thats there finds it hilarious, and the first time there was an applause.

    Lmao
    No offense intended

    ReplyDelete
  32. Surge: No offense taken. Kudos for being gutsy. I know a lot of Twilight fans that would be offended, and can be quite voilent. Lucky for you I'm not one of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG I am totally author gaga and super jealous right now! One of my best friends got me hooked on the Twilight series, I think I read all four books in a week...defo the way to do it! My heart was beating so fast the whole time! What a great bday pressie!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wowwww amazing experience! I also fell in love with the books before everyyyyyone in the world joined in... So at this point I'm even kind of annoyed by them. Not too annoyed to be at the New Moon midnight showing though, just like I was at Twilight. =]

    ReplyDelete
  35. so totally jealous you got to meet her! my friend and i were just talking about how crazy in love we are with twilight and how november will be the best month...ever ;)

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.