Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Game Plan -- or: Updates on All the Crazy Things Happening in My Life


This weekend lasted four days for fall break, and I was so thankful for that.  My midterm exams were last week, and because Kyle was here during the beginning of this semester I hadn't exactly been doing a lot of studying...  I've spent the last two weeks teaching myself everything I should have been learning over the course of this semester.  It was a lot to cram in, and I was exhausted, so the extra break suited me just fine.

During the break I did a lot of planning:  wedding planning, apartment planning, college transfer planning...even some I'm-moving-to-Germany planning.  So now it's time to fill you in.

On Monday I had my first major melt-down.  When I realized just how much there was to prepare for, I became overwhelmed, panicked, cried like a baby, and then quickly recovered, kicked myself into gear, and went to work setting a timeline and making some phone calls to get everything rolling.
However, it was the perfect time to completely freak out.  Kyle finally got his phone plan, which automatically made half my stress melt away.  We've been able to communicate much more easily now.  So far, things are going very smoothly for him in Germany, and I can finally rest a bit easier knowing that he's okay.  We know now that he'll be stationed at his current location for two years, and that time will be lengthened to three years after we're married.  This is great news because there is little chance of his being deployed from this particular base.  Once we're married we're almost guaranteed two years together before we have to worry about deployments again.   I miss him more than I can tell you, but it's unbelievable how reassuring a phone call can be.  Even though I'm positively aching to be back in those arms again, just hearing his voice helps to set me at ease and remind me that I am capable of patience...at least if I try really really hard.

Anyway, this outline is what came of my melt-down:

1)  I applied for my passport today so that I'll be able to leave the country without any problems.

2)  I move into my new apartment on November 1st.

3)  I'll be going to Germany to see Kyle over Christmas break, probably for about a week.  :)

4)  Next semester will be my last at Eastern Kentucky University, if I decide to attend after this semester.  I'm considering taking next semester off to focus on the wedding/the "big move."

5)  I'll be applying for transfer at UMUC online school in March of next year.

6)  Kyle and I will be getting married sometime around June 5th.  That's our tentative date.  We can't put a definite date on the wedding yet because we don't know when he'll be able to get his leave, but it will be somewhere around this time.

7)  Kyle will leave a week or two after the wedding, and I'll follow within the next month.  It'll take me some time to pack/store all of our things from the apartment.

8)  By the end of July, at the very latest, I'll be living in Germany, blogging all about my adventures in Europe.  I am so very excited for this part of the plan.  :)

But speaking of weddings...I've had one major development in that area:

I found my dress.  :)  It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my entire life.  I really really wish I could show you guys, but unfortunately Kyle does occasionally check this blog and I'm not letting him know anything about the dress.  I promise though, as soon as the wedding is done I'll have loads of photos to show you all.

I also think I may have decided on a location, and as soon as I can make it back out there I'll post some photos of that as well.  I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about it.  :)    

I really can't wrap my mind around the thought of us not being separated for two whole years after we're married.  That seems a little too good to be true.  If I can just make it to next summer without going completely insane, I'll be the happiest girl in existence.  With my trip to Germany just around the corner, I'm thinking that maybe this will be easier than I'd dared to hope.  
So for separation #2:
16 days down, and a little less than 70 left to go.
Thank God it's going quickly so far.  :)  Maybe this does get a little easier...

30 comments:

  1. It's not easier, you are just determined and distracted. :) I hope everything works out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a lot of changes ahead and a lot to be excited about! And I'm sure with all the planning the next few months will pass without you even knowing it.

    I'm really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its such an exciting time. I planned my entire wedding by myself and I enjoyed it so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh wow! Amazing news!

    Germany? Well well well... Whereabouts in Germany? Have you visited Europe before?

    I wish you good luck and lots of patience with all the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you really have been busy. I can remember what an exciting this time of your life can be ... starting out as an adult - and even a wife! YOu are on the cusp of many adventures with a move to Germany etc and I know you will wring every drop of wonderful out of it. I really like that you have kept your education in the plan. Please give yourself the gift of an education Carrie. You have gifts that need developing and not only do you owe it to yourself to honour those gifts, you'll be that much more interesting of a person! : ) Hugs, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic !!
    My dad was in the British army and for a time we lived in Germany. I have to tell you the best thing is when you live on an army base abroad there is a massive feeling of camaraderie and kind of 'family' amongst the soldiers wives and children. I have some wonderful memories of Germany. A friend of mine is married to a soldier and they are based in Germany now too and she agrees with me about the closeness that you have with friends and neighbours which is totally different than what you experience anywhere else.
    You will love it !!!
    Congrats and I am sooooo looking forward to seeing your wedding pics.
    well done you!!
    Hugs from across the pond xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you have a busy year...

    You mentioned "IF" you go to school next semester. Please do go. Even if you only take one or two classes! In the long run, you'll be glad to have one or two fewer classes to complete after the wedding and move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to clear things up: The only reason I wouldn't be returning to school next semester would be because A) I really need the time to prepare and B) I've already attained all of my general education requirements, and most of my upper level courses need to be taken at the school I'll be graduating from. There's a good chance I wouldn't recieve ANY credit for the classes I'd take, and that would be more than frustrating. :/

    School is definitely remaining in my plans, and if I took that list a bit furthder down, you'd find graduate school is in it too. :) No worries guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Germany - yeah!! I love Germany. You will have so much fun. One of my best friends just moved to Germany with her husband, to a base near Stuttgart. She's having so much fun touring and hiking and getting to know people. If you take the semester off, maybe you could at least take a German class or two? Do you speak German already? It is so much easier to survive in a foreign country when you speak the language.

    As for weddings, that is super exciting also. I am planning my wedding for June too. I, unfortunately, have to plan while working my full-time job with almost no vacation days. It's a bummer. But the idea of having a wedding is so great that it surpasses the bumminess.

    So much good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the planning! Germany would be awesome. I have family friends who live in Hamburg, never been over myself though, ha.

    I went to community college for 2 years, finished my GE and started taking courses in my major. I was told they would transfer to the University. Well, they did-but as electives. I essentially had to re-take the same classes again once I got to the University. So yes, I received credit for what I took at the CC but I would have liked to take other courses as electives and NOT repeat what I had already taken. And wedding planning takes a lot of work, so I think you are making a wise decision--just don't let yourself get off the track once you are settled. I was once told that if you are going to get your masters, it is best to do it right after your Bachelors, because it's difficult to get back into the swing of school once you get out. And yup--I still want to, but it's been six years since I graduated with my BA and I've been too distracted by the "real world" to get my butt in gear again, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trust me when I tell you that you won't make it without going insane. But going insane will really help you get through all the planning and doing because you won't be trying to rationalize everything. Basically, you'll be crazy but you'll be going with the flow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iida: Nope, I've never been to Germany before. In fact, I've never traveled more than 6 hours away from my hometown. I really couldn't be any more excited. :)

    Kattrina: No, I don't speak even one word of German. :/ If I remain in college after this semester, I'm planning to take classes I'll enjoy since my upper level classes wouldn't really count anyhow. One of them would definitely be German...

    Good luck with your own wedding planning! :)

    Jen: When I spoke to a rep. over the phone they said that most of my upper level courses would become electives. :/ That's exactly why I'm so afraid to take anymore. I can't stand the thought of them not counting for anything... I already have a ton of elective credits to fill the elective spots. I really don't need any more.

    In fact, about the only thing that the option of remaining next semester has going for it is the refund check. :/ I don't know if I can justify giving up a free $3000.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting that everything is in motion for you! My parents spent their first married years in Germany (my dad was in the Air Force) and they both loved it.

    I hope the rest of your planning goes smoothly x

    ReplyDelete
  14. so exciting that you've found your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Victoria: I know! :) I absolutely LOVE it. I can't wait to show you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is going to be an amazing experience for you and your love. Spend a lot of time with your friends and family before you leave and savor every moment of it. I moved only from Arizona to California but I do get homesick at times and we are right next door! But 16 hours away driving, can't imagine being overseas! Good luck with all the school stuff, it's a pain in the arse transferring I hated the whole process! But I do love getting me fafsa : ). Good luck to you, take deep breaths to avoid mini meltdowns hehe : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where in Germany is Kyle? / What's his unit? (any idea?)

    Gordon and I'll be in Vilseck, Germany come June.

    Good luck with all your plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. how have you even found time to blog?! you must be wonder woman.

    ReplyDelete
  19. leni: I assure you, I'm nothing of the sort. ;) Every time someone tells me something like this, or that I'm "stronger than they could be," or more recently that I'm "an inspiration," it throws me off balance. I feel like I'm looking around going, "Who, me???"

    None of us ever know what we're capable of until we're thrown into a situation in which we must be strong and must make everything work.

    But thank you for the sentiment; it's flattering every time. :)

    Stephanie/Iida: He's in Mannheim, Germany. :)

    Stephanie: You'll have to look me up when I come across! According to Kyle, everything in Europe is much closer together than I'd imagined. It'd be great to know (kind of) someone there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I say once again...

    I'M GETTING A SISTER!!!

    And, when this whole swine flu business is out of my system, I'll be happy to help you with planning, packing, and whatnot. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Germany, that's excited. It's probably good that he's there ahead of time and you're going to visit before you move so you can kind of get acquainted with the country a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carrie, I don't want to upset you, but please know that even though the army may say the base is nondeployable and he probably won't be deployed, there is always the possibilty of deployment. And then they can change their minds about 100 times as to exactly when it will be!! I just want you to be prepared that it is always a possibility.

    That is awesome, though, that you will probably be joining him within a year. You will have a lot of fun in Europe. The bases offer all kinds of excursions to major cities in Europe. Also, look into getting Army scholarships and grants for spouses to help with schooling.

    You will much busty and distracted planning a wedding:) I'm glad you found a dress already.

    If you have any questions, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm inspired by your motivation and dtermination to do whatever needs doing to be with your kyle. I wish nothing but the best, and give you the only advice I can give.... just follow where you want, go where you desire and never look back and never regret because you have loved someone that completely... most people will never love someone like that in their lifetime. its a treasure to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Robyn: Thanks. :) I know that there's still a chance of deployment, but right now I'd rather clutch what good news I can. I won't forget the possibility though.

    hellbent: That was a beautiful comment. Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow... this is all way too exciting! You have so much to look forward to! And you'll be so busy planning this move and wedding that you won't have time to dwell on the negative parts. It would be pretty hard to keep a smile off of my face with all this going on. I can't wait to read about the next couple years of your life.. how's that for commitment??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! That's great that you have so much figured out and a plan in place. I know it always makes me feel better to have a game plan of some sort laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jessica: "you'll be so busy planning this move and wedding that you won't have time to dwell on the negative parts" ...that is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for. ;)

    Crazy Shenanigans: Yes, I completely agree. I feel so much better now that I at least have a general outline of how things are going to happen. It's much less overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's so exciting that you've got a date set (kind of). I love love love weddings so I can't wait to hear all about yours and see pictures! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!
    Living in Germany - that's so exciting!! :)
    I can't wait to hear about all your crazy adventures!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. HI Carrie! I am totally thinking positive thouhghts for you and Kyle and your plans! I just had to come back to Canada cause my visa expired inthe UK (where i have been for 4 years on 2 different student visas) and I had to leave my fiance and our HOUSE to come back for what feels like forever to apply for a fiancee visa......my passport, birth certificate and LIFE are currently in the hands of the British Government, if they deny me I don't know what I will do. I planned and planned for this for months....planning keeps me going.....it is the waiting and leaving it all in someone else's hands that scares me the most...that and not getting back to David.
    This doesn't compare to Kyle being in the army or on base in Germany, of course, but I wanted to let you know that I feel the heartache and nervousness...I know what you are feeling.
    COngrats on finding your dress and location (and tentative date)...I am choosing my fabric next week and then, again, I wait. xo

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.