Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Long Past Due

We arrived in Missouri late last Tuesday night. The trip there was both very quick and painstakingly long. Every inch of road we passed brought Kyle and I closer together, but it seemed that for every mile we traveled, another ten stretched out before me. We drove west, chasing the sunset until the mountains had faded first into small hills, and finally into plains. Distraught as I was, I was in complete awe of how beautiful the flat earth can be. The skyline was completely uninterrupted by the tall mountains I'm accustomed too. It was easy to imagine, in the middle of those great wide fields, the hand of God descending from the heavens to pluck me from the ground.

I hadn't slept a wink the night before, and didn't want to close my eyes on the way there lest I miss something I wouldn't have the chance to see again. By the time we made it to our hotel I was so exhausted that I fell immediately into sleep: no energy for nerves.

The next morning was another story. I opened my eyes and thought to myself: It's finally today. It was a day five months in the making. And every last second of it was worth it. But that isn't to say that I didn't spend at least an hour staring at myself in the mirror, trying to be positive I was looking as presentable as could be.

When we arrived on base, when we first saw him, I was completely overwhelmed. I didn't know what to think. I gazed at the uniform-clad man before me, desperately searching for some trace of the one I'd loved for so long. At first I thought that perhaps my nightmares were becoming reality. Perhaps the time and distance had done what we didn't think possible: maybe we had both changed. Maybe we wouldn't fit anymore.

But then those arms closed around me in an embrace. And our eyes held for a moment. His hand held my cheek. And I knew that I was the most ridiculously silly creature in the world. Of course we were still us. What else could we be? I was right all along. We are etched forever into one another's beings. Perfectly intertwined and inseparable. A love like ours can take on whatever it is matched against, without doubt.

We quickly whisked him away for the day, and at 8:00, brought him back for tearful (on my part, anyway) goodbyes until Thursday morning at graduation.

After we left, bringing Kyle with us, I spent the entire eight hour drive in a state of wonder. Kyle slept most of the way back to Kentucky, and I may as well have. I couldn't believe that he was finally back with me: sitting right next to me, our fingers knotted together and shoulders being used as pillows. I was so happy and relieved that I could barely form coherent thoughts to express my delight. I was perfectly content for the first time since March.



Photobucket




---


Saturday, August 15, 2009 was the date of the massive Welcome Home party I've been planning for months. It's been a mess of phone calls and questions and directions and food preparation. And last Saturday we pulled it off without a single problem. Everyone showed up promptly, food in hand. I floated from one circle of guests to the next, making sure everyone was mingling and happy. Kyle looked surprised and amused that so many people had made it. So, obviously, since he was pleased, I was elated. I finally felt that I had accomplished something while he was away. :)

But a few hours in I discovered that the surprise wasn't his at all, but mine.



Photobucket


That's right, guys. He proposed. :)

He made the sweetest speech I've ever heard, and as he fell to one knee the rest of the scene melted away. I can hardly remember anyone's reaction. My world ended outside of the two of us. The embrace after I gave an ecstatic "yes" sealed us into a bubble of pure bliss, untouched by the tears and excitement of the crowd.



Photobucket


The beautiful ring that now rests on my finger is the perfect symbol of the promises we exchanged over a year ago, the ones that were laced into our first "I love you:" the one that says forever.

It was absolutely adorable. It was perfect. It was like a scene from a movie. I couldn't be happier. I'm finally getting my happy ending. And for once I think I can safely say: my life is a Taylor Swift Song.



Oh, I'm so excited! And I wish that each and every one of you could be at the wedding. If any of you are in my area next summer, you're more than welcome to attend.

And now, before I leave you for the day, I'd like to give you all a big thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You guys don't know how much your comments and well wishes have meant to me. The support you give me has helped to carry me through some pretty rough times. It would have been so much harder without all the blogging-love. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful rest-of-the-week, just in case I don't make it back for a while.

"We were both young when I first saw you.
I close my eyes and the flashback starts:
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air.

See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns.
See you make your way through the crowd
and say hello;

Little did I know
That you were Romeo; you were throwing pebbles,
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet."
And I was crying on the staircase,
begging you, "Please, don't go."

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting. All there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

So I sneak out to the garden to see you.
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew.
So close your eyes; escape this town for a little while.
'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter,
And my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet,"
But you were everything to me.
I was begging you, "Please, don't go,"

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

Romeo save me - they're tryin' to tell me how to feel.
This love is difficult, but it's real.
Don't be afraid; we'll make it out of this mess.
It's a love story - baby just say "Yes.'"

Oh, oh.

I got tired of waiting,
Wondering if you were ever comin' around.
My faith in you was fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town,

And I said,
"Romeo save me - I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting for you but you never come.
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think-"

He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said,
"Marry me, Juliet - you'll never have to be alone.
I love you and that's all I really know.
I talked to your dad - go pick out a white dress;
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

Oh, oh. Oh, oh.

'Cause we were both young when I first saw you..."

30 comments:

  1. The past few days have been huge for you Carrie. I am happy for you to see your dreams come true. You have been waiting for a long while for this special time. Congratulations to you and your sweetheart. Now - keep dreaming girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!! best wishes to you and kyle! what an exciting time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful, Carrie!!!!

    I would love to come to your wedding. Keep me in mind and I will make an effort to be there :)
    Also, if you or Kyle are ever in Kansas (especially Fort Riley) you are welcome here for a place to stay, a home cooked meal or even just a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH MYYYGOSSHNESSS! I was almost tearing halfway through the post...and then BAAAM. I gasped when I saw that picture!!!!! (: CONGRATS lady, I'm SOO SOO happy for you!!! xoxo, now you know it was all WORTH IT! the wait (; love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting! I'm pretty new to your blog but congrats! I'm so glad you have him back and that you're engaged!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! that is wonderful news. I wish you both a LOT of luck and love and happiness in your future together... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say again, "SHE'S GONNA BE MY SISTER!!!!"

    Congratulations, and for the billionth time, welcome to the family.

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so so so much everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is crazy. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crazy? yes.
    Wonderful? definitely. :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!!!!! I'm soooo happy for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOLY CRAP LADY, YOU'RE ENGAGED!!!!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    can you tell i'm excited. wow. what an amazing trip and now you're off on a new journey. congratulations honey! i'm very happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aly: Thank you! :)

    bananas: tehe. That was pretty much my reaction too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh how exciting!! congrats!!! that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! What a lovely couple you are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks so much for your comment on the Perfect Palette!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stumbled upon your blog. Congratulations! Your story brought a tear to my eye. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i was just reading my friend's blog and on a chance hit the 'next blog' button at the top and yours came up. i love it!
    you are such a special young lady and i cried reading your engagement post. i wish you all the best and will definately continue reading your adventures.
    love an aussie fan xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You guys are making a mistake!!! You are only 19!!! Trust another military member when I say he will move on---and so will you. I wish I could be the flowers and roses everyone else is but I have lived the life for 20 years and the army is hard and harder on relationships. As a famous person said, "If the military wanted you to have a spouse, they would have issued you one!" Good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Donald: First, I thought very seriously about rejecting this comment. I was hurt at first. But I don't think that's what you intended, and so I've published your remarks.

    I know that we are young. Don't take me for a fool. I know that odds are against us. I am not blind.

    However, I also know how much I love Kyle. I know that no matter how hard it gets, I'll keep loving him. And I know that if we don't make it (which is my worst nightmare) I will never regret trying. He is the love of my life, and I don't believe I'd ever forgive myself if I didn't try to reach for my happy ending.

    Thank you for wishing us well.

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just came across your blog. I, too, am a military spouse. My husband has been in the Air Force for over 2 1/2 years. We are currently stationed in Japan and not too long ago, we were in the same shoes as you and your fiance, Kyle. I look forward to reading more of your posts about your new chapter as a Military spouse! Welcome to the club! Take care and enjoy your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kate: Nice to meet you! :) How's Japan? It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carrie: Japan is awesome!! We are really enjoying ourselves. There are quite a few Army bases here in Japan - perhaps it could be on your dream sheet!

    People are friendly, food is good, and English is widely spoken. What more can you ask for?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kate: Sounds nice, and I'll bet the food must be an adventure! ;)

    All the photos I've seen of it are gorgeous. Definitely going on the "places I must see before death" list.

    I didn't expect that so many people would speak English though. That surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dean: Thanks. :) I was lucky enough to have the amazing Courtney present. She took enough to make me a flip book of the night. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Carrie! Just happened to stumble upon your blog. I've read some of your posts and learned some things about you. Though I think happy endings are not meant for everyone, you're blessed that you're one of the lucky ones. I think you're a real princess for Kyle and for the people around you :) no need for Taylor Swift songs.

    You're still young and still have many things to experience. I hope you could handle that kind of future. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. awwww
    The most precious n the most memorable moments of ur life :)
    Wish u lots of luck, dear !!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know this is a bit late, but I was just skim-scamming through your older posts, and when I came across this one, I just had to say congratulations! Hope all is well for you and Kyle in the future... and all that mooshy-gooshy stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.