Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Work?

My typical work day begins around 7:15am. I wake up, realize I've overslept by 45 minutes, leap from my bed, throw on the first clothes my hands touch, run for the door, and drive altogether too fast to make it to my work on time. I have to be here at 8:00am. Since I'm living at home for the summer until classes start again in the fall, it's a one hour commute. You can see why I panic, I'm sure.

Once here, I collapse into the chair behind my desk to catch my breath.

And then I do nothing. I do nothing for quite some time until lunch at 11:30am when I meet the fabulous Courtney Spradling (boyfriend's sister). We have an hour. Then it's back to the office.

On my way back inside I pick up the mail and proceed to the third floor. I deliver the mail. Then I wait at my desk until Tammy/Susan (supervisors) bring me some lovely filing or copying to do. I do it. Then I return to doing nothing. On the rare day (like today) that I have work from Betty (another lady at the office), I alpabetize some things as well.

I have a truly wonderful job. I'm paid to sit at my desk, write poetry for enjoyment, write Kyle letters, facebook, myspace, and blog. Sometimes I bring a book. It's pretty great, really. At 4:30pm, I'm already in my car and pulling out of the parking lot. I never have to work weekends or holidays because the office is closed then. When I am late, which doesn't happen often, no one notices or cares. I don't have to make up the time.

My only complaint would be that it's a dull place...but I don't think that counts.

I'm alphabetizing now.
It's probably the last thing I'll have to do today.
I brought a book.
:)

6 comments:

  1. wish i had a job like that, sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Be careful what you wish for. Days that I forget my book are painfully boring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a receptionist & my job is just like that. I agree with you completely about it being "painfully boring" sometimes. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how i wish i had a job like that. :) love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am following your blog and commenting at work right now! Ha!! (Government contract job...sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a job that sounded and felt similar to your job. And indeed, whenever I didn't bring a book, or a notebook, the job felt so boring I got really tired from the boredom whenever I went home.

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.