Thursday, March 12, 2009

What Four Lines Can Do


Photobucket


Flipping through my literature book I found a four line poem by Margaret Atwood. It follows:

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye


a fish hook
an open eye

Yep, that's all folks. But isn't it amazing how much we know because of those four little lines? I could invent an entire story based upon the emotional wealth found in them. I sit here typing, astounded. I find this poem bold, gutsy, and wish more were so honest.



Photobucket


Atwood is also the author of the book The Handmaid's Tale, a slightly frightening futuristic novel that follows the life of a woman stripped of her entire identity...losing everything from her family, to her job, her money, her home, and even her name itself. I recommend it with the warning that you won't find a happy ending. In fact, you don't find much of an ending at all. The book is guaranteed to leave you absolutely haunted.

2 comments:

  1. Carrie - Margaret Atwood is one of Canada's most successful and prolific writers. This book haunted me for a long time after. An thought provoking, excellent read. Hope you are keeping well ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved it...even though it was frightening. And things are going rather well. =]

    ReplyDelete

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.