Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting Over, Once Again

Just when I am getting one year under control it's time to start another one. I can't complain though. I love my hectic life. I have only one more week until the spring semester of college starts, and only one more day before I have to start a desperate hunt for a job. I don't mind. I like being busy. I will miss the extra freedom I allowed myself to have last semester though. I didn't want to overload myself and work through my first semester of school...but I think I made myself a little spoiled. I know I'll view those first few weeks of a busy routine grudgingly, but after I get into the swing of things I'll love it. I adore the feeling of being productive. That's actually why I like blogging here so much. I like the feeling of accomplishing something that others can observe.

It seems as though today everyone is talking about their New Year's resolutions. I don't make them. For me, a New Year's resolution has become a goal that I say I need to accomplish, but by acknowledging it, admit that I probably won't. Instead of wasting a perfectly good piece of paper on a useless list of tasks I'll ignore, I've decided to pick one goal to work on at a time. Currently, I'm going to find myself a job. I'll figure any other problems out later. This one is imperative. I need to start taking care of myself rather than depending on other people for support. I know I can do this, and so I am going to. The hunt is on tomorrow.

I have also officially decided that it is probably best for me to change my major. Much as I'd like to believe that I could bear teaching a room full of irresponsible and immature high-schoolers every day, I know that this is simply not true. I have a passion for literature and writing that I want to share with people who appreciate it, not with kids that would just as soon drop my course at the first opportunity for some easy-A-elective. I think I want to major in Literature, maybe with a Creative Writing minor. I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with that degree, maybe become a college professor after a few more years of book-hitting, but I'll figure that out later. A professor of mine whom I particularly admire said that if you choose a major that lets you follow your interests and passions you can't go wrong. I really hope he is right...and I think that he is.

A happy New Year to anyone reading out there, and a wonderful new beginning for anyone that needs it. I wish you all the best with your resolutions. Hopefully you do much better with yours than I do with mine. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.