Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Book of Note

Photobucket


This Christmas, like most, I recieved a gift card to a bookstore. I'm a very booky person so I loved it. I immediately spent it, and one of the books I chose was The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson. It was incredible, and just what I was looking for.

The book is entirely composed of letters, which I found fascinating.  Contrary to what you may first think, the reader doesn't really miss much information from this point of view. In fact, I think it adds even more insight into the narrator as it shows the audience exactly how she is percieved by those around her.

The main character, Olivia Hunt, is a movie producer, a daughter, a friend and pen-pal, an ex, and most importantly in this novel, she is big sister to Maddy, the baby she was allowed to name. The novel follows Olivia through her effort to make a new version of the movie Don Quixote which she feels is pure genius, but which studios pass up as too expensive and depressing. It also watches her fight to save the life of her sister Maddy, who is struggling in a downward spiral with Leukemia.

Readers watch as Olivia's previously full and adventurous life seems to fall to shambles around her, and then witness the bravery and strength of the human heart as she carefully picks it back up again. Robinson has crafted both a light and uplifting read, as well as one that will pain your heart. It is truly a book that could be passed round a circle of friends for years, and with but one caution: snuggle into it with a blanket and a plate of cookies. You won't want to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.