Saturday, December 20, 2008

Beware the Mixer

My absolute favorite part of Christmas has always been making Christmas candies. When my parents were still married, and I was very young, they owned an apartment complex. My mom and I would make trays full of fudge and cookies and candies for our tenants on Christmas. Now I help my mamaw make the food for our Christmas party. It's by far the most fun anyone can have in a kitchen. We make peanut butter balls, coconut candy bars, fudge, cookies, cheesecakes, and that's just the list of sweets... There are also cheese cubes to cut, ham and cheese rolls to make, sausages to cook, pizzas to bake and cheeseballs to mix!

It's incredibly fun, and the food turns out amazing, but we always seem to make some sort of mess. I'm rather accident-prone, and so is my grandmother... Leaving us in the kitchen with a high power mixer and a bag of confectioners sugar wasn't the greatest of ideas. While trying to flip the lock button in place Mamaw accidently turned the mixer on high and sprayed both of us and the entire kitchen with powdered sugar. Fun stuff. I currently look like I've been a massive food fight, and not even on the winning team.

While it was a horrible mess, it's the unexpected things like that which I find so entertaining. It wouldn't be nearly as fun if everything went according to plan. Mistakes give us something to laugh about, and are usually what make the best memories.

Merry Christmas Everyone! I wish you all a happy holiday season and a kitchen covered in fluff. Trust me, the laughs are far worth the mess.

Homemade Mounds Bars:

-1lb. confectioners sugar
-2, 14oz. bags coconut
-1 can sweetened condensed milk
-1 stick butter
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients in a mixer...just don't turn it on high right away, blend from lowest setting to highest until well mixed. Then press the mixture into a butter-greased pan. Try to keep the pan evenly coated, and as level-topped as possible. Chill in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes, then remove and cut into two inch sqares

-1 bag milk chocolate chips
-1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
-about 1/2 bar of parafin cooking wax

Melt chocolate and wax in a double boiler, making sure they are well blended. (Have this ready when the bars come out of the freezer.) Immediately coat bars in chocolate mixture. (Dropping them in the pan and quickly fishing them out with a fork works well.) Allow the chocolate coated bars to dry on wax paper. As soon as the chocolate is hardened, the bars are ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each comment you leave donates one smile to my day.
Thanks so much for letting me know what you think.